Macbook Pro stuck at startup screen

Reaction score
Hi

I purchases a Macbook Pro in late October. Two days ago it was stuck at the startup screen for quite sometime. I restarted it and it took a little while but it did eventually start up. Then later that night when I shut it down it took a while to shut down. The following day everything started and shut down at normal speed. Then today I ran into the same problem at start up but this time it did not start up. After 30 minutes of being stuck on the screen I googled it on my phone and read about holding the shift key down during powerup. I did this and a grey bar appeared at the bottom. It loaded all the way (took awhile) but then it was stuck on the start up screen again for 20 minutes. I restarted it again and now this strange message is coming up. It tells me to restart but when I do the same screen just keeps popping up. Is there anything I can do or do I need to visit the Apple store? thanks in advance for the help

fopx7t.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Go to the Apple store!
That's called a kernel panic, and is often caused by some hardware failure.
A kext is a kernel extension (file) - usually a hardware driver.
It is "possible" that you just need to reinstall OS X.

OP
A
Reaction score
Go to the Apple store!
That's called a kernel panic, and is often caused by some hardware failure.
A kext is a kernel extension (file) - usually a hardware driver.
It is "possible" that you just need to reinstall OS X.

thanks... making an Apple appointment now. should I prepare myself if I'm going to lose everything that I have on my computer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a good possibility if you haven't been making backups. Ask the Apple genius who works on your machine to see if he\she can save your data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.