Bootcamp and more

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a MacBook Pro 3,1 and the DVD drive no longer works. I need to get AutoCAD installed on my MacBook, which means I need to get Bootcamp on, and get Windows installed. So my question is this, Can I Install Windows and then the windows drivers drom my MAC OS X disk via an external USB DVD drive? And if so, how easy/difficult is it keeping in mind that I am a total newbie to all things MAC having crossed over very recently from a Microsoft based PC? ANy help much appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Moved to appropriate forum.

You can not install Windows via Boot Camp using an external DVD drive because the proper drivers aren't in place until after the installation of Windows is finished. (The external drive will not be seen.)

You may be able to use virtual software instead: Parallels, VMWare Fusion, VirtualBox. However, I do not know how well AutoCad would run in a virtual machine versus native Windows.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for that reply. I installed Parallel, and then windows XP, and then my windows software, such as AutoCAD, sketchup, Vray, podium and they all work fine now on the MAC. I actually installed Windows from an ISO file on an external HDD since my DVD drive is broken. ALl seems to have worked well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.