Macbook Late 2009 CRACKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Late 2009
Hi

I have cracks on my Macbooks hinges on both sides I know this is a common problem with these Macbooks.(Picture is attached). I bought this Mac off Ebay in May, it has been brilliant and works perfectly, however the cracks just seem to be getting bigger.

I booked a genius appointment at Apple yesterday, they understood my problem however they said as my Mac was out of warranty they could not do the repair for free but instead said will can repair for you for 200 pounds.

So I walked away :(

Anyway, I wanted to know what this problem is known as and is it easy to get the front plastic of the Mac replaced, or is it a bit of a challenge.

Hope you can help.

Regards

Ed.

http://

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyway, I wanted to know what this problem is known as and is it easy to get the front plastic of the Mac replaced, or is it a bit of a challenge.

In order to fix this...you need to get the entire plastic piece/part that has the Apple logo on it. In order to do the replacement...ALL of the display components (display panel, bezels, etc) will have to be removed (and the bottom part needs to be opened up as well to disconnect cables from the display)...and the top half of the computer separated from the bottom half.

This is probably one of the most difficult (and frustrating) repair jobs on a laptop that can be done. I know that the professional folks hate to do this...because it is so involved & time consuming. Plus of course...the part itself is not cheap either.

I know that the cracks can be troubling...but at this point I would say that it's not worth it. The reason why these cracks occurred in the first place...is due to someone "over-opening" the display beyond it's design limitations causing the cracks to form. Then EVERY single time this laptops lid is opened...those cracks are being stressed...and over time can cause them to get larger.

If this were my computer...and I was concerned that the cracks were getting larger (and given the expense & difficulty of the repair)...I would try to force some sort of epoxy (or something like superglue) into the cracks to try to keep them from getting larger (but not too much). This may or may not work...but it might be worth a try.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.