How to create a new playlist in itunes from songs on ipod?

Reaction score
I have 3000+ songs on my ipod. These songs are part of the 6000+ songs within my itunes library. Over time I have manually moved these songs from itunes to my ipod (ie, not with a playlist or auto-syncing). Now I want to make a new playlist in itunes which is comprised of the songs that are currently on my ipod. Any ideas as to how I can do this? I am not copying any new songs from the ipod to itunes, I just want to make a new 3000+ song playlist in itunes, using the songs from the ipod.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Click the + sign at the bottom left of iTunes, give the new playlist a name, drag the songs you want into it from the main iTunes window, go into preferences and add that to the iPod sync list. Job done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Without going through iTunes and manually adding every song which is on your iPod to the playlist, as Kev has suggested, which is the only way of doing what you want to do, on a computer, you create a playlist on the iPod itself and then click "Add all songs"*. This will then add all the songs that are on your iPod, which is what I understand you are trying to do? Then when you sync with your computer, it should copy the playlist across.

If I've misunderstood your post, ignore all of the above! :)

*This can be done on the iPhone, don't know hat iPod you have so don't know if you have the create playlist feature.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck. The ipod i have is a 120gb ipod about a year old. It is not a touch screen, but has the traditional "touch wheel (name?)" I can see that I am able to create an "on-the-go" playlist but I don't believe that syncs to my itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
On the go lists will sync back to iTunes, I made one by mistake and it synced ok. It's more time consuming than creating one in iTunes though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.