mac behaving badly?

Reaction score
Hi..I have a 27" quad core i5 mac, and been very happy with it, and the learning curve hasn't been steep, either....

but latley, I have noticed a very dramatic slowdown in the way it opens applications, and that beach ball seems to be spinning a lot longer than it has before...also, very sluggish to move the mouse pointer on web/productivity pages, and when loading photographs into photoshop, the images seem to take literally MINUTES to render..

what gives, and how come a seemingly powerful computer is behaving this way? I migrated from windows to avoid this sort of issue..

FWIW, I have updated all the latest software updates.

are there any performance monitoring tools for a mac and is there anything that i can do to make it speed up like it was before? any software i can use to remove clutter like you can on windows etc?

all help appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea blue there is. Have a look at MainMenu or Oynx.

These will both go deeper than the root level, and clean caches as well. A lot deeper than Disk Utility. You can set them up how you want as well.

And these links are both for the free versions ...

Cheers

C

chas_m

Other things I would look at:

How many apps tend to be open (not necessarily active) at the same time? I've noticed a lot of windows switchers tend to just close the WINDOW of an app, not the app itself. This has an effect on performance, since it uses up RAM.

How much RAM do you have on this machine anyway?

Also, how much free space is left on the HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Other things I would look at:

How many apps tend to be open (not necessarily active) at the same time? I've noticed a lot of windows switchers tend to just close the WINDOW of an app, not the app itself. This has an effect on performance, since it uses up RAM.

How much RAM do you have on this machine anyway?

Also, how much free space is left on the HD?

I think that's key right there. HFS+, ext3, ext4 are immune to fragmentation, but they are susceptible to slowing down when the drive is over 75/85% full.
There is no free lunch. It wold have been nice to have ZFS on Snow Leopard...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.