Airport Extreme problem?

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Airport Extreme to replace an old Linksys wireless router. It did exactly what I was hoping it would and extended my wireless signal so that all rooms of my apartment now receive the signal. Most importantly the Apple TVs in other rooms now stream perfectly.

One odd side effect is that now the netflix app on both my apple TV's is taking up to 2 minutes to load anything (movies, tv shows). Here are the steps I have taken:

•*Checked with my internet provider and my internet speed is 21mbps (have checked both wireless and Ethernet connected speeds)
•*Restored both apple TV's to factory settings and had them checked out at Apple store Genius bar. They are both in perfect working condition.
•*Removed all other devices that could be causing signal interference (TV antenna, baby monitors, etc)

Apple told me that Netflix outputs its shows at a higher resolution than other streaming services and that is likely why I am experiencing the load delay. They recommended I remove anything from the area that may be interfering with the signal (see the last bullet point in what I have done so far above)

After all of this the only variable that has changed since I started having this issue is that I recently updated my wireless router to the Airport Extreme. When I set up the AE I followed the instructions that came with the device and let it more or less set itself up as it was detected and activated via the Mac Pro it was connected to via Ethernet.

I am interested to hear what ideas everyone may have as to why this issue is occurring. I am out of trouble shooting ideas!

If I have posted this in the wrong place, please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not sure why someone at Apple would have told you that the resolution is higher you can go to AVS forum where they have tested the same movie from Apple (ATV3) ,Amazon (Roku) and both using Netflix they all use 1080p but apply compression differently along with bitrate with Amazon and Apple running neck and neck while the comparable picture through Netflix not as good (same movie ).

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Apple meant that Netflix sends out a higher quality picture than other streaming services. That Hulu would load quicker because the signal they are sending out is lower quality than Netflix.

My question is still why the Netflix app requires 2 minutes of load time when Hulu doesn't. If it does have something to do with my Airport Extreme then how do I fix the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Thanks for the info. Apple meant that Netflix sends out a higher quality picture than other streaming services. That Hulu would load quicker because the signal they are sending out is lower quality than Netflix.

My question is still why the Netflix app requires 2 minutes of load time when Hulu doesn't. If it does have something to do with my Airport Extreme then how do I fix the problem?

There are various links across the web with slow loading Netflix times if you have access to movies in iTunes compare the video quality of 1080p movies and see if you do not get a better picture with iTunes.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have an update to this. I was able to get Netflix to look into and the signal sent from my network isn't hitting their service until 2 minutes in. Once it connects it plays instantly. They have no clue what could be taking the signal so long to get there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.