Screen darker at the top

Reaction score
Hey, I've got a 2007 iMac & when I turned it on today the top half of the screen was definetely darker... It's as if I had lowered the brightness for half the screen or something like that. Any clues on whay this could be happening?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's test it: Take a screen shot of your desktop. If the screen shot shows the same dark top and light bottom, the fault is probably with the graphics adapter. If the screen shot shows normal, then the fault is likely the LCD display itself.

OP
P
Reaction score
Then it's the LCD display. But after an hour or so it went back to normal again. Does that mean that my display is slowly dying? (Bc I was told this was not the first time it happened)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sometimes as an LCD ages it can change characteristics - discoloring, shading, etc. It does appear that yours may be doing the same. Not much you can do to prevent it other than swapping out the LCD itself.

You never mentioned the particular model iMac (screen size) in order to determine a replacement cost. Anyway, look here for approximate cost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.