Too much to ask?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
So I was thinking about selling my iMac, but the question I have is, should I leave CS5 Master Collection and Final Cut Studio 3 on it when I sell it or will I run into issues? I plan on keeping the original discs for another Apple, so hence my dilemna because not sure if it affects the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So I was thinking about selling my iMac, but the question I have is, should I leave CS5 Master Collection and Final Cut Studio 3 on it when I sell it or will I run into issues? I plan on keeping the original discs for another Apple, so hence my dilemna because not sure if it affects the price.

Keeping the disks and not removing it from the system you're selling is illegal.

Either remove it and keep the disks or sell the disks with the computer.

But beyond being illegal, Adobe won't allow you to activate it on a new machine if it's already on another machine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
imho: To leave them on without the discs is not worth spit to an educated buyer. You would be asking for money for what in essence would become pirated/illegal software since you are keeping the discs with plans to install the software on another machine.

This is really no different than you making copies of the discs and then selling pirated copies.

edit: schweb beat me to it

OP
Housekat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Hence why I ask you guys lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hence why I ask you guys lol

Like was said besides the illegal aspect of it, Adobe uses very strict Activation and when you install it on the new machine, it probably will not activate.

So best thing to do is delete them completely off the Mac before selling it. If there is an Uninstaller, run that and not just trash the applications. Otherwise some Activation info might remain and hurt you later.

OP
Housekat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
I may just go with a complete wipe and reinstall before selling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So best thing to do is delete them completely off the Mac before selling it. If there is an Uninstaller, run that and not just trash the applications. Otherwise some Activation info might remain and hurt you later.

Good point. Be sure to de-activate the software before you uninstall it or wipe the drive. Otherwise you'll have installation issues on your new machine.

OP
Housekat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
I still can't believe colleges want 1k just to take the course and learn how to use the software, its craziness...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No it is the capitalist system of supply and demand. If not enough demand the price would drop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Good point. Be sure to de-activate the software before you uninstall it or wipe the drive. Otherwise you'll have installation issues on your new machine.
Both CS4, CS5 (and CS5.1) all have Deactivate checked by default in their uninstaller, however I agree.. I ALWAYS manually deactivate. The one time I couldn't we had to call Adobe and explain that we could not deactivate as the logic board had died and we couldn't boot the machine. That, btw, took about 30 seconds to have them deactivate (after the 35 minutes on hold).

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
I tried one of the install disks which came with another iMAC - AND IT DIDN'T WORK.

Are the supplied disks only useable on the Mac you bought ?

Would surprise me if so

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
They're only valid on the same model (model number, not marketing model) that they came with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.