• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Stretched video from Samsung HMX-H104B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.66 intel core 2 duo
I have a Samsung HMX-H104B and a iMac with 2.66 intel core 2 duo with 4 GB ram.

I imported 1920x1080 in 16:9 video from my cam to iMovie and it is stretched out horizontally.

I imported it to my desktop and the same stretched out video appears in Quick time 10.

If I take the stretched out video and put it in Final Cut Express, it corrects it and it looks normal.

If I use quick time 7 it looks normal but I don't know if it is in HD.

I have attached a screen cap that shows the final cut version along with the QT10 version and you can see that the whole image is there it is just stretched out.

I called apple support and after 45min we could not resolve it so he told me iMovie does not support MPEG-4 and to use Final Cut to import. I think he was frustrated and was looking for a out.

Please help,

Screen shot 2009-12-26 at 9.52.50 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
To see the specs when using either version of QuickTime, use Command-I. QT7 gives more information.

If you want to use the video in iMovie, then the only solution I can think of is to import into FCE and then export to another HD codec for use in iMovie.

Reaction score
Final Cut does not support any MPEG format for editing. It's just a really, really bad idea to start with. FCE will import the footage from your camera in the Log & Transfer window into a supported format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.