which mac should i buy for my college studies

Reaction score
I have used windows enough and tired of it so i am thinking to switch to mac. i am not gonna do any kind of video editing or designing, maybe i'll do a bit of photo editing. but i am gonna used it for VIRTUAL BOX, in it i am gonna install 3 OS; windows 7, MS server 2008 and microsoft exchange server.
so i think it is gonna use a lot of memmory, i need some suggestion that which mac should i buy?
any help would be really appreaciated

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have used enough and tired of it so i am thinking to switch to mac.

Used enough what??;)

i am not gonna do any kind of video editing or designing, maybe i'll do a bit of photo editing. but i am gonna used it for VIRTUAL BOX

A good place to start would be to tell us if you're looking for a desktop or a laptop.

in it i am gonna install 3 OS; windows 7, MS server 2008 and microsoft exchange server.

What about the Mac OS??;)

so i think it is gonna use a lot of memmory, i need some suggestion that which mac should i buy?

By "memmory"...do you mean storage/hard drive space??

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i want to buy a macbook
from memmory i meant ram size

I think that you mean MacBook Pro. Apple stopped selling MacBooks in 2010 (unless you're talking about buying a used MacBook).

Also...do you DEFINITELY mean "MacBook Pro"...or are you also considering a "MacBook Air"?

Next question...display size. 13" or 15" if we are talking just a MacBook Pro?

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
ok so i want to buy a macbook pro 13", i don't want a retina display
ssd is not a must as they are expensive
my budget is around 1300 ( i am eligible for education pricing, so i can get it for cheap)
i just wanna know which one is gonna be good for me as there is gonna be 3 OS in virtual machine.
i am stuck between these two macs:
Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 2.5GHz Laptop - English : MacBook Pro - Future Shop

Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" 3rd Gen Intel Core i7 2.9GHz Laptop - English : MacBook Pro - Future Shop

HELP ME DECIDE :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Buy the best computer you can afford. I'd get the i7 2.9Ghz if you can afford it.

C

chas_m

You say you've "used Windows enough" but the first thing you plan to do on your new Mac is install Windows, a Windows Server and Outlook Server?

Frankly, it doesn't sound to me like you're converting to the Mac at all, and I can't help wondering why you're even considering it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I agree with chas_m. Maybe you should stick with a Windows based computer. Although the learning curve switching to the way a Mac does things is not that steep, you will have to let go of a Windoze mentality. Macs are great computers, but they aren't for everybody...and that's OK. Best of luck to you.

OP
L
Reaction score
You say you've "used Windows enough" but the first thing you plan to do on your new Mac is install Windows, a Windows Server and Outlook Server?

Frankly, it doesn't sound to me like you're converting to the Mac at all, and I can't help wondering why you're even considering it.

it is because of my course and i have to install all these server. they are my course requirements :)

C

chas_m

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are allegedly required to use Windows for your studies.

So again, I have to ask: why are you considering a Mac?

Reaction score
You are going to install windows again but you have also stated that you have been fed up from windows. What exactly you mean. If you do want to try mac then why not Mac OS. For other option stick with the windows based PC you will get more choices. Try i7 processors if you can afford they will give you desired memory regarding any thing.

M

MacInWin

If you have to have those three Windows systems, and if you budget is limited, it might be better to get a Windows Laptop with as much memory and as fast a processor as you can afford. Windows can be set up for dual (and I suppose triple) boot scenarios. What you need is plenty of RAM and a big fast hard drive or those three will eat your lunch. Macs are more expensive (for many reasons) so you can't get as much with a Mac laptop as you will with a Wintel machine. And it's just silly to pay the price for a MacBook Pro and then immediately ignore the OSX that is designed for it to put on three Windows systems.

Reaction score
Buy the best computer you can afford. I'd get the i7 2.9Ghz if you can afford it.

I couldn't disagree more.

I give the exact opposite recommendation. And this is what I'd tell my son, if he were going to school this fall..

Get the minimal computer which will adequately do everything you need for the next 6 months...

Specifically, if you gave me the parameters/ needs you just did, handed me $1300, and said get the best system, here's what I'd do:

1. I'd go find a reputable online seller, and buy a used Macbook Pro from them. [I've used macresource.com, wegenermedia.com, and powermax.com.. Recently it's all been thru wegenermedia, but I've been treated well by all, and have been quite satisfied, but no real complaints from any] - I'd just compare them all for best bargains. Look at lowendmac.com as well-they often list dealers with great deals.. [My only warning - avoid gainsaver at all cost!].
  2. I'd buy a used 2009 Core2 or 2010 13" Macbook Pro (one with a few bangs and dents but as absolutely AS CHEAP AS I COULD FIND with a warranty. $550-800.
  3. I'd buy a $25 plastic snap-on case to cover it.
  4. I'd fill it slam full of RAM (2009's go to 8gb, SOME 2010's go to 16gb).. ~$100
  5. I'd put a 256gb SSD drive in the HDD bay, and the original drive (OR a 500gb SSHD drive) in a sled in the optical bay, boot from the SSD drive, and store data on the other...$300
  6. And I'd invest the $100 that's left over into something that's going to bring a return on my investment - like schooling. or rent. :Cool::Cool:

And that would be one ridiculously fast cheap laptop. And if i needed the optical, I'd invest in a $30 external USB drive off Amazon. It would well outperform the $1300 13" that Apple's got on the market right now.

All that said, why on earth are you considering buying a Mac if you're going to be installing Exchange Server on it? Honestly, I think that's the bigger question you should be asking...

I can't think of a good reason a college student would want to be learning something so outdated as MS software, unless you're also wanting to invest in buggy whip manufacturing.. WHY are they still preaching Microsuck in IT classes? If so, you might reconsider your education investment.

Linux is the future. All other flavors are imitation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.