VoiceOver in Pages vs. Jaws in Word

Reaction score
Hello,
My friend is visually impaired-nearly blind. He has switched from textreader Jaws to VoiceOver as he just bought a brand new MAC laptop. His frustration is that when working in MAC Pages, VoiceOver simply just reads the page but it does NOT indicate where it is reading from within the document. In Jaws, each word is highlighted as it was read outloud, consequently if he desired to edit he could halt the reading and know exactly where he wants to be do his editting.

I suspect VoiceOver might have this feature but we don't know how to turn it on.
Can anyone help? Am I in the wrong forum? Please advise.
thanks
Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The same option is available in "VoiceOver".

Here's how to turn it on: Go to System Preferences, Universal Access. Open the Universal Access control panel. The top selection will be for VoiceOver. Click on the tab that says "Open VoiceOver Utility".

Now click on the "Visuals" selection to the left. The last choice at the bottom is what you want. It states: "Move VoiceOver cursor............."

Click on the down arrow and select "word". OK your way out of the dialogs and have him reboot the machine. It should now work the same as it did when using "Jaws".

Post back if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.