Need some repair help, iMac G5 17" 1.8ghz

ixi

Reaction score
So I bought two G5 17" iMacs from a guy for a great deal. One is a 1.6ghz and the other 1.8ghz (not working) One works perfectly, no problems. The other seems to have a hard drive problem. I have the two computers opened up side by side so I can swap stuff out and rule out components.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2db2f0w.jpg

I'm fairly new to repairing this stuff but I like to tinker and I think I can do this.

The guy who I bought it from said he had someone look at it (I'm not sure of his skill level) and he could get it to restart and work fine for a few days after he "opened it up and reconnected the hard drive and could probably be repaired if it was just soldered in place."

You can see in this pic that this connection has been marked by a magic marker and is probably the issue.

http://i37.tinypic.com/or5yef.jpg

First off, the #1 green light lights up but stops there.

I've swapped hard drives with the other computer so I know it isn't that nor is it the wiring going to or from the hard drive.

What can I check from here. Can I check things with a multimeter? It seems like there is just a short or bad connection at the point marked by the magic marker.

Also, this part is on the working computer but not on the other, what is it?

http://i36.tinypic.com/2llzy1k.jpg

Thanks for any help and your patience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
That connector is most likely your problem. Also that chip in the second picture didnt look like it should be there so i did some research and none of the G5s ive seen have that in them. Unfortunately i do not have a G5 at my disposal to take apart or i would.. Sorry my answer is so vague.. its kind of hard to tell what really is the issues :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That Chip (Really a small PC Board) is the Bluetooth module. I have the service manual for that model. It for sure belongs there unless you do not want Bluetooth. The small board right above the Bluetooth Module with the black cover is the Modem.

The reason why one does not have it is they all did not come stock with Bluetooth.

Also that wire and plug on the board with the Red Magic Marker circles is the Temperature sensor cable for the hard drive. That little board the cable goes to on the hard drive is the sensor. The SATA cables are on the other side of the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
That Chip (Really a small PC Board) is the Bluetooth module. I have the service manual for that model. It for sure belongs there unless you do not want Bluetooth. The small board right above the Bluetooth Module with the black cover is the Modem.

The reason why one does not have it is they all did not come stock with Bluetooth.

Also that wire and plug on the board with the Red Magic Marker circles is the Temperature sensor cable for the hard drive. That little board the cable goes to on the hard drive is the sensor. The SATA cables are on the other side of the drive.

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for that! I was quite puzzled when i saw that o_O

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for that! I was quite puzzled when i saw that o_O

I was pretty sure it was the BT module but looked anyway as it's so close to the RJ11 jack for the modem.

Reaction score
i need a repair on my imac g5 1.8... its not as complex but some times my usb's are weak sometimes they have the same message as you would get plugging a ipod into your keyboard "not enough power..."
And my audio input does not even show up in the system preferences
i have yet to crack it open (cause i dont want to open it up if its wayy to complex to fix) could it be a lose wire or something i can fix with average technical knowhow?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.