• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Need advice from anyone who's installed a ceiling fan!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
So this is my Memorial weekend project that I just started today! I am installing 2 ceiling fans in our bedrooms and found some great articles online that explain clearly how to do it, even if you don't have the right light box. The problem is, as usual, I am stuck with a unique situation not covered by basic how-to's.

Luckily I am able to get at the light boxes from the crawl space above the ceiling. The problem is the light boxes are secured to the joists like they should be, but the bracket is kinda thin and the light box itself is small. I'm concerned that, even though it is secured to the joists it may not be able to handle a fan. The plus side is that is it mounted and the bracket is flush against the ceiling to distribute load.

I would happily replace the brackets, but the problem is they screwed them into the bottom of the joists before putting up the ceiling, so the only way to get to them would be to cut out and replace a big chunk of ceiling. I'm kind of leaning towards mounting to the current light box and watching how it holds up. I feel like I would see signs of loosening long before it actually came out of the ceiling itself, if ever.

If anyone has any opinions/suggestions I would be happy to hear it. I've added a couple pics for reference.

Thanks!

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Best advice? Get a tradesman to do it. Looks pretty nasty and may well be illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
They sell adjustable support bracket/frame structures that slide in between the ceiling joists just for these kinds of jobs. Lowes and Home Depot sell them. You might have to cut and remove the old support(from the crawl space), or maybe just cut the center, and bend the sides out of the way if possible. I would not hang a fan from that.
Similar like this Raco 15.5ci model sold at Home Depot
778ddaef-3397-45d5-b789-e7281daa38bb_400.jpg

Some models require that they be installed underneath the drywall(like the Raco I posted), so use some ingenuity might be needed, or a model that is freely within the joists.

This Westinhouse setup might work for you: Westinghouse Saf-T-Box Support Fan Brace-0140000 at The Home Depot

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm with Harry on this one. Blackened wiring in your box for one thing.

I would tackle this without batting an eye, but wouldn't reccomend it to someone who wasn't experienced working with electrical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
How old is the house? What kind of wiring is that?

But the bracket looks substantial enough to hold a fan. Of course, I can't touch it, but it appears to be pretty heavy stock. Whether or not to try it depends on how the fan will be attached to the box. The bracket, of course, holds the box, and anything attached to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As they used to say to electrical apprentices:-

Be an Electrician and get a Kick out of Life!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be an Electrician and get a Kick out of Life!

Been there, done that Harry! It's usually not the jolt that hurts but smashing your arm, elbow, or anything else, trying to get loose from the circuit. Or worse, falling off a ladder!

I've installed several ceiling fans in my home (an absolute must in the Texas heat). The nice thing about houses around here is that they already come with the boxes and braces in place. Still it's a two man job. Not something you want to do by yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
yeah that wiring looks a little nasty.

Definitely use the braces suggested already. I've put them in and I highly recommend using them too.

If you break a little drywall on the ceiling getting the old one out, it isn't a big deal, it'd be easy to fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
How bout we call it a party and all pitch in to help...as long as someone buys the drinks? I'm in:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
ok, but I'll need to bring some Canadian beer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
They sell adjustable support bracket/frame structures that slide in between the ceiling joists just for these kinds of jobs. Lowes and Home Depot sell them. You might have to cut and remove the old support(from the crawl space), or maybe just cut the center, and bend the sides out of the way if possible. I would not hang a fan from that.
Similar like this Raco 15.5ci model sold at Home Depot
778ddaef-3397-45d5-b789-e7281daa38bb_400.jpg

Some models require that they be installed underneath the drywall(like the Raco I posted), so use some ingenuity might be needed, or a model that is freely within the joists.

This Westinhouse setup might work for you: Westinghouse Saf-T-Box Support Fan Brace-0140000 at The Home Depot

I agree with the suggestion pictured by iggibar. That's what I did to install recessed lights on my back porch ceiling (I wanted 3 of them centered). Those modern brackets are very secure and can hold a ceiling fan no problem. As long as you have the electricity turned off to that part of the house, it's not a big deal to pull that wire out and feed it into a new housing/box.

You can patch the ceiling fairly easily where the old cutout used to be.
Here's a tip for patching that old hole: cut out a slightly larger hole, but angle your blade a little bit. Think of when you cut the top out of a pumpkin - if you cut at an angle, the top will go back in place and not fall through. Same premise with drywall, it gives you a backing of sorts. :) Then you just have to cut a new circle or square to fill the hole (remember to cut at an angle again). Spackle and paint will keep the drywall patch in place just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that the bracket in the OP's post, while of older vintage, is likely able to hold about the same amount of weight, or at least enough for a ceiling fan. His bracket is narrower, but thicker, it appears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 iMac I7 3.4, 1 TB Fusion, 2 gigs Video, 24 gigs Ram, Yosemite 10.10.2
If you have not already completed the project. Cut a 2x4 to fit between the joists and anchor it just behind the box with screws or nails "screws are better. Then anchor the box to the 2x4, this will hold it.

Like others have noted, the wires look old, if the insulation around the individual wires is brittle, I would suggest replacing the wire if at all possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
iggibar said it all except you need to replace your wiring. Frankly as an electricain I would connect an led to that wiring. Its dangerous. You have a major job to rewire all your house if it like that in the picture. Forget the fans - REWIRE!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And you have a crack in your roof :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.