Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi all! i currently have a 15in macbook pro with a 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4gigs of Ram. i do a lot of motion graphics work and editing using programs such as After Effects and FCP. I want to maximize my laptop as much as possible. i know the Macbook pros can go up to 8gigs but ive been reading around and read that people who have upgraded to 8gigs have had a lot of problems such as freezing and and shutting down. my question is what are the safest and most efficient ways to maximize my laptop wether it be through the processor or RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Hi all! i currently have a 15in macbook pro with a 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4gigs of Ram. i do a lot of motion graphics work and editing using programs such as After Effects and FCP. I want to maximize my laptop as much as possible. i know the Macbook pros can go up to 8gigs but ive been reading around and read that people who have upgraded to 8gigs have had a lot of problems such as freezing and and shutting down. my question is what are the safest and most efficient ways to maximize my laptop wether it be through the processor or RAM?

Never heard of anybody upgrading processor in a MBP. Not sure if it's possible.

As far as the 8gb RAM is concerned, MBP's are picky and usually need high quality ram (i.e: Crucial, Patriot, Kingston, Mushkin, etc) not Walmart RAM etc. The best possible upgrade you can do is get yourself a SSD. Look at the Intel X-25's (most reliable), Crucial C300(one of the fastest), Corsair Nova(low power consumption), OWC Mercury("Mac" approved. Although any SATA drive will work), or OCZ Agility/Vertex 2(2 of the best around, although Agility is significantly cheaper).

If you decide the 8gb of RAM is more important, just check out Newegg for user reviews on them. 8gb kits can be had for around $150.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

RAM, and a SSD like s2odin mentioned. That's really the only two things you can upgrade on an Apple Notebook.

Never heard of anybody upgrading processor in a MBP. Not sure if it's possible.

That because it's not possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.