OS X Lion price?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
For everyone running Snow Leopard how much do you think it will cost to upgrade to Lion?

Reaction score
For everyone running Snow Leopard how much do you think it will cost to upgrade to Lion?

I don't know that anyone outside of Cupertino could say for sure at this point. My bet is that it will be more than SL was, but less than Windows. I have absolutely nothing to base that on other than it seems to be a little more of an upgrade than Leopard to SL.

If I were a betting man, I would guess $49/$59 for single and maybe $79 for family.

I would be THRILLED if they maintained the same pricing as SL, though!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
We will know when they announce it. Most Full new OSx versions have been $129 but right now we have no idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My money is also on the $129 dtravis7 mentions. Why? That was the price of Leopard when released.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Harry. Unlike Snow Leopard, Lion is a complete new version of OS X with many new innovative changes. It will likely be full price - probably around $129.00 like Leopard. It might be discounted somewhat by resellers such as Amazon or NewEgg. Sometimes they'll offer a discount on a pre-order. They did that with Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
My guess is $129. With the exception of Snow Leopard, that has been the norm for some time. And Apple will be able to justify the "price bump" for those newer users that only know of Leopard -> Snow Leopard as far as OS upgrading goes, because now they're consolidating the Server version of OS X into the disc they're selling clients.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
...because now they're consolidating the Server version of OS X into the disc they're selling clients.

Interesting - I didn't see that until now. That's about the first tidbit I've heard about Lion that makes it seem desirable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
My money is on between $29 and $50

I just think that Apple, like with Snow Leopard, will want as many users to upgrade as possible - but its just a hunch based on the fact that, unlike microsoft, Apple is primarily a hardware vendor rather than a software company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Apple will likely offer it through the App Store (like they have done with the developer previews) and the App Store price tier is 129.99, so if it's around 129, it'll be that.

But I think Apple will stick with the trend we've been seeing with Aperture and Final Cut and will lower the price. I think it'll be $99 or even $49, in order to get as many people using the new version (which includes the Mac App Store, which has so far been slow to take off amongst regular users).

EDIT: hehe - beat me to it louis!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I would hope if offered through the app store it is a burnable image you can put on hard copy. I would hate to do an install of SL and then download Lion on a fresh install going forward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I would hope if offered through the app store it is a burnable image you can put on hard copy. I would hate to do an install of SL and then download Lion on a fresh install going forward.
I don't see why they couldn't include a "burn a boot disc" option… Or perhaps we'll even see a "create USB boot drive" utility?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I will also go with the sub $100 USD range because:

1) Apple with the incorporation of IOS-like aspects in Lion seems to be looking for it as a way to transition people who have IOS devices to Mac desktop and laptop hardware, thus expanding their overall base
2) Quick implementation of Lion into existing Mac base would help with #1 above
3) I'm not cheap (well actually I am) but I wouldn't pay $129 for Lion when I have a fully functional OS in SNL and don't see enough in Lion to cause me to upgrade unless the price gets really right
4) In the long run I believe Apple would make a lot more money due to #s 1&2 then they would out of charging me and others a significant upgrade fee, so probably in their best interest to sell marginally above cost (I'm guessing $49 upgrade, $79 Family Pack)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I don't see why they couldn't include a "burn a boot disc" option… Or perhaps we'll even see a "create USB boot drive" utility?

Either would be fine with me. Usb boot drive would be best. Buy me a how ever big thumb drive and put it on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I agree that the price might be lower than normal full releases, as I think Apple sees more revenue from the new App Store and will want everyone to move up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.