• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

finder/pref window,can anyone tell me what this does?

Reaction score
it is the finder/pref window What is a spring loaded folder and window? And how is it I can make this handy, if at all?

Picture 1.jpg

S

sursuciofla

iNAP said:
it is the finder/pref window What is a spring loaded folder and window? And how is it I can make this handy, if at all?

Note: To use spring-loaded folders in Mac OS X, you must have version 10.2 or later.

Introduced in Mac OS 8, spring-loaded folders are a feature of the Finder. They allow you to move down a hierarchical listing of folders with greater ease. Spring-loaded folders are especially useful if you wish to move a file, application, or even another folder into a folder that is deeply nested within several other folders. For example, you could use the feature to quickly move a Netscape plug-in into the Plug-ins folder, which is nested within the Netscape folder, which in turn is nested within the Applications folder, which is at the top level of your hard disk. The following is an example of how you would move a Netscape plug-in to the Plug-ins folder:

Click and drag the plug-in's icon over the hard disk icon, but do not release the mouse button. The hard disk's icon will flash and then open.

Again, without releasing the mouse button, move the mouse pointer over the Applications folder. The Applications folder will open.

Repeat the process with the Netscape folder and Plug-ins folder.

When the Plug-ins folder opens, release the mouse button; the plug-in will be moved into that folder. Also, the higher level folders will all close, leaving the Plug-ins folder as the only open window within that folder hierarchy.
Use similar steps to move other files into different folders. If you mistakenly open the wrong folder (for example, you opened the BetterTelnet folder instead of the Netscape folder), you can close it by moving your mouse's pointer out of the open window back into a parent window. Or, to close all nested folders, move the pointer so it is not over any window.

In Mac OS 9.x and earlier, you can also use spring-loaded folders to open a series of nested folders without actually moving anything. Move your mouse pointer over the parent folder of a nested folder you wish to open and then execute "one and a half" clicks. A "one and a half click" is the same as a double-click, except you don't release the mouse button after the second click. The folder will open and you will be able to navigate through the nested folders as described above.

To modify the way spring-loaded folders work, from the Finder's Finder menu (10.2 and later) or Edit menu (9.x and earlier), select Preferences... . (In Mac OS 8.5 through 9.x, then select the General tab.) To turn them on or off, next to Spring-loaded folders or Spring-loaded folders and windows, click the checkbox. You can also change the amount of time folders delay before springing open.

Hope this explains it.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
just tried it.Thats cool!....... Explains it very well ............Thanks!

S

sursuciofla

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aehp.html

Here is the link, apparantly because I didn't include the link I am a bad person, hehe. Obviously I didn't write that I was just helping. All I did was a GOOGLE search, shoot me for helping. Whoever sent me the bad rep is a bunghole.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.