Go and grab the iOS 7.1 iOS update !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Its finally here after 5 long Beta's we have the iOS 7.1 update, ready to download OTA on you device, or via iTunes.

Apple releases iOS 7.1 with CarPlay, Siri improvements ~ Sydney Morning Herald

I have been looking a lot at the CarPlay, and it looks like Apple is on bed with a lot of Manufactures, but unless you are buying the newest car, you won't be seeing it, until Pioneer, Sony and the likes, start to implement them into their car Audio Systems.

Apple's iOS 7.1 brings animation updates, UI tweaks for Phone, calendar, and more ~ AppleInsider

Apple releases iOS 7.1 for iPhone, iPad with bug fixes, new features ~ zdnet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Loaded and I like it one thing I noticed that happened to me was I did the update on my phone and pad in the settings as before but afterwards it would not sync wirelessly so I connected via USB and a new screen popped up that required me to select TRUST this computer then afterwards it sync'd wirelessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
One change they made that threw me off was on the keypad for the phone "app". The long, rectangular "Call" button is now an unlabeled round button the size of the other buttons. I hate it. There's so much wasted space on each side, and I'm used to not having to be so much more "precise" in hitting it.

C

chas_m

lifeisabeach: yeah, I imagine they will rethink those, though the symbol bit doesn't bother me (just the wasted space).

As for the rest of it, this update is like my own personal wish list fulfilled. My main complaint about iOS 7 (well documented in many posts here) was "TOO MUCH WHITE! SO BRIGHT!" and they've done gone and listened. You can even "darken colors" and turn off the translucency in the dock and folders, make the type bigger and even make the "buttons" obvious. I don't need to do any of this yet but I'm not getting any younger and I appreciate these moves to make iOS 7 more "senior-friendly" as I work mostly with seniors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
lifeisabeach: yeah, I imagine they will rethink those, though the symbol bit doesn't bother me (just the wasted space).

As for the rest of it, this update is like my own personal wish list fulfilled. My main complaint about iOS 7 (well documented in many posts here) was "TOO MUCH WHITE! SO BRIGHT!" and they've done gone and listened. You can even "darken colors" and turn off the translucency in the dock and folders, make the type bigger and even make the "buttons" obvious. I don't need to do any of this yet but I'm not getting any younger and I appreciate these moves to make iOS 7 more "senior-friendly" as I work mostly with seniors.

The symbol doesn't bother me either. I'll dig into it some more today, but the "too much white" was a big beef with me as well. I read that they also toned down some of the animations. What they didn't fix was the lack of a clock on the lockscreen when music is playing. This has been a huge minus for me. I use a speaker dock at bedside and often use ambient sound apps at night. Now, if something is on, you only see the "album" art and playback controls, no big clock. It's very annoying if I wake up in the middle of the night and want to check the time quickly.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I read that they also toned down some of the animations.
They got at the really obvious and slow ones right after the release of iOS 7 as well (think what the app opening animation looked like then).

I think the most important thing with this release is the responsiveness fixes for iOS 7. Word on the street with regards to the iPhone 4 is "performance still sucks relatively speaking but it's better given the hardware Apple is working with", suggesting that this is a worthy upgrade for iPhone 4 users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
I have a question for you guys/gals.
When I use iTunes Music I don't have the Repeat Song-Create-Shuffle buttons at the bottom of the page.
Is there a reason I wouldn't have them?

I am using a 4s and just updated to 7.1 yesterday.

Thanks
Rob

C

chas_m

I have a question for you guys/gals.
When I use iTunes Music I don't have the Repeat Song-Create-Shuffle buttons at the bottom of the page.
Is there a reason I wouldn't have them?

I am using a 4s and just updated to 7.1 yesterday.

Thanks
Rob

As you probably know, you won't see them in the list view of songs, only when a song is actually playing.

If you're using iTunes Radio, you (again) obviously won't see them at all.

Any chance either of those things is the issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you probably know, you won't see them in the list view of songs, only when a song is actually playing.

I guess I just don't understand.. Is iTunes music not the music app they are talking about in the article I read talking about the shuffle button. It looks the same except for the buttons at the bottom.
and thanks for the reply.

music_zpsff826181.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Give us a full screenshot of yours.

Use the Go Advanced button below the Message box and then scroll down to Manage Attachments to post it.

Mine looks like the one on the right above and I have no 'Create' item there.

(And we wouldn't know what they're talking about in an article without knowing what article it is.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the reply...
Ok.. Here it is. no buttons at all at the bottom..
And all the article said about the music app is what is under the pic I posted. Sorry for the confusion.

photo_zpsfc1ee73d.png

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
thanks for the reply...
Ok.. Here it is. no buttons at all at the bottom..
And all the article said about the music app is what is under the pic I posted. Sorry for the confusion.

photo_zpsfc1ee73d.png

And this view is the iTunes Radio View and as member chas_m posted, you won't see this is the iTunes Radio view. Once you click on the $1.29 and purchase it, and its in your Library, then you can Shuffle, or Repeat the song.
When your in your own Library, then you will have the button there.

IMG_0942-resized.PNG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh.. I see.. duh..
I can only shuffle my purchased music not the radio stations....wow, I can be dense sometimes..

Thank you all....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
How good is iOS 7.1 on IPad 3, any one ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm using iOS 7.1 and it works fine on my iPad 3. Go get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.