The green Magsafe light is on but the Macbook is operating on battery power

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here. This is my very first post. I have a 2 year old Macbook which I bought new back in 2008. Recently it's developed a strange problem which I'm hoping someone here might know how to fix.

The Magsafe is plugged into the electric socket. The green led light is showing, and the electric plug icon is displayed on the dock. But there's no electric power reaching the battery. Last night I was in the middle of a project when poof off went my Macbook. The battery had drained completely down and the Macbook switched off. Normally I check the iStat to see if the Macbook is running on battery or electric current. But last night I forgot to check the iStat and the battery went completely dead.

This problem doesn't happen all the time. For example right now I'm typing this post and the iStat shows my battery at 100% power and charged and the Macbook is running on electric current.

But sometimes it will switch from electric current over to battery power and I won't notice it because the Magsafe green led light still shows and the electric plug icon is still displayed on the dock even though the Macbook is running on battery power. (the electric plug icon still shows on the dock) If I pull the Magsafe from off the Macbook then the icon switches from the electric plug icon over to the battery icon on the dock.

And before I can recharge the battery I always need to wiggle the Magsafe several times before the led light changes from green to amber and begins charging the battery.

I'm retired and I live in Mexico. I've taken my Macbook to several computer repair stores in Mexico and nobody knows how to repair Macs. Very few people own Macs because a new Macbook costs over $3000 dollars because of Mexico's high tariff fees for anything imported into Mexico that's not made in Mexico. And if I mail my Macbook back to the States Apple won't be able to mail it back to me because of the tariff fees. I tried buying a new Magsafe from Amazon.com but when I got to the check out page I was transfered to another page that said Amazon can not ship anything electronic into Mexico and therefore I can't buy a new Magsafe. I can buy a new Magsafe from the Apple store in Mexico city but it costs over $150 dollars for a new one.

I'm hoping that perhaps someone here in Macforums might know of a way that I can fix the problem with my Macbook showing the green led light but the battery not receiving power. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the Magsafe or if it's a hardware problem within the Mac itself.

Thank you for reading this.

Sincerely,

Mexico Grandpa

OP
M
Reaction score
@ BananaMess - yes I've reset the SMC two times. But that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Thanks for trying to help :)

I have nothing but praise and good feelings towards my Macbook. It's been through a lot of rough handling. I've let many of my friends down here in Mexico use my Mac and it's been very reliable. It still is extremely reliable with the exception of the Magsafe problem or whatever the problem is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
What is the battery information in system profiler?
Can you go to , About This Mac, more info, power, and take a screen shot of that section, and post it.
To take the screenshot hold shift + command + 4, hit the space bar and then click the trackpad mouse.
To post the shot, click the insert image tab on top of the message box.

OP
M
Reaction score
@ 6string

Thank you for your reply to my Macbook problem.
Here is the Battery Info screenshot you requested.

batteryinfo.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The battery looks looks fine, and the fact that you have to wiggle the adapter to get it to light up, sounds like either the charger or the connection on the MB itself. I would guess that it is the charger. Unfortunately without another charger to test with, it is very hard to rule it out.
All I can suggest is a store that sells Macs, or a friend with a Mac that you can test their charger on your Mac, and vice versa.

Reaction score
parts

Non-apple chargers can be had off ebay for very reasonable prices. I got a new 85W magsafe charger for 22 USD recently. I suggest you get one and try it out.

If it isn't the charger, I'm guessing you would be looking at a new DC in board. About $90 new from ifixit, less used on ebay. Plus installation unless you plan to install it yourself (non-trivial).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.