You and Spaces

Reaction score
Im just curious how you all use spaces? Spaces as in the OSX Leopard feature.

Do you even use spaces, or just stick to one?
How many spaces do you have?
When do you use spaces, all the time or just when your working?
How do you organize them, what do you put in what space?
How do you switch spaces, clicking the dock icon, F key or ctrl arrow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz C2D
I use 6 Spaces. The following programs are assigned to specific Spaces:

Space 1: Chat programs like Skype, iChat, and Conversation
Space 2: Safari
Space 3: Mail
Space 4: iTunes
Space 5: Quicken
Space 6: iDVD, iPhoto, iMovie

I usually click on the application in the Dock (or use Cmd-Tab) to get to the application I want, which puts me in the correct Space. Sometimes I use the Ctrl-Arrow, but not very often.

Reaction score
Space 1: This is where I keep things like Transmission going, sort of behind the scenes and uncluttered if I ever want to check on it
Space 2: iTunes
Space 3: Safari, plus it's where I do most of my work

I have the upper right hand corner take me to the spaces selection screen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I use Spaces. Four to be exact. I find it handy with my 13.3 screen.

1. Safari / Mail
2. iTunes / DVD Player
3. Taco HTML Editor / Cyberduck FTP
4. Quicken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't find Spaces useful unless I'm using more than 3 or 4 programs; actively. I always have Mail, Entourage, Safari, iTunes open, but I'm not always using those programs, so to me there's no need to organize them into other spaces.

Actually, just recently I had to use Spaces to constantly switch between 4-5 different programs and it started to act very strangely. It got to be more frustrating than keeping everything on one screen.

Anyone else had problems with Spaces being buggy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I only use two spaces.

1 - Working Desktop. That's where I have all the programs I'm working in/have open.

2 - Boss Desktop/Away from the Desk. Keep it blank so the Boss doesn't know exactly how I'm slacking off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I'm set up for 8 virtual desktops in Spaces - two rows of four. I've used virtual desktops for years, first starting with fvwm in Linux. Mostly I'll use only 4 or 5, and that's to keep job groups separate. (Sometimes I'll have multiple apps open in one virtual desktop if they're all related to a single job.) I navigate sometimes with arrows, sometimes with ctrl-#, and once in a great while with the icon/menu in the menu bar.

I've had no trouble with Spaces, though there is one annoyance with it. If I close a final app in a desktop, Spaces will take me to another desktop with an open app. I DON'T WANT IT TO MOVE ME AT ALL! Grrrr... :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
1: some web stuff - mail, firefox, twitter
2: graphics - bibble, gimp, etc
3: bit torrent, web site maintainence stuff like ftp, ssh, etc
4: a terminal for whatever that isn't ssh. some things are just faster for me via terminal, like file copying, renaming and other things from my linux roots and a terminal running spacestation (a nice hack to put different pictures on each space desktop) until apple wises up and implements the feature themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G
i find spaces really good, i have 8 spaces being used as follows:

1. MS Work
2. MS Entourage
3. Safari
4. Adium
5. VMWare Fusion
6. Itunes
7. Sonos Desktop Controller
8. Ical

i use most of those programs at work everyday and i find it very helpful to keep the desktop tidy and easy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
Top left space: Firefox and chat client
Top right space: Mail
Bottom left space: Fusion (Windows XP VM)
Bottom right: not used much

Spaces REALLY helps if you're using Fusion, because you can set a VM to full screen, and still CTRL + up/down/left/right arrow and move back to a different space. It works beautifully on my MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
what is Quicken?

Personal Finance Software from Intuit

I don't have anything specifically assigned to individual spaces...I just group my work in each space...eg open a terminal in one space and that is all web servers that I am working on...next space open terminal and mange the database server there, third space web browser/iChat/...you get the idea and I just jump fromspace to space with ctrl-arrowkey (i have my spaces setup with 4 column and one row...so it is just ctrl left/right)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I don't really use spaces. If Windows had a similar feature, I think I would have been all over it in an attempt to keep the taskbar from filling up.

When I switched over to OS X, I couldn't understand why the little red gel tab only closed the current window instead of shutting down the application. Anyhow, I got into the habit of closing whatever window I'm finished with, but leaving the application running in the background. When I want that window back, I just click the icon in the dock.

For me, this has the same net effect of keeping the desktop organized. Expose in the other hand, I use constantly. I assigned it to a hot corner and I use it all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I have 3 spaces

1) whatever/browsing
2) photography stuff (photoshop, yada yada)
3) school (Pages, Numbers, Keynote)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I use two Spaces. I keep one open for iTunes and Mail. The other is for Safari and other little things. Adium is setup to display on both spaces.
I configured my Logitech mouse to switch between the two spaces. I found using the keyboard to switch to be a bigger hassle than what it was worth. Now, I tap two buttons where my thumb rests on the mouse and love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I started using Spaces 3 days ago, and it really is very useful.
I have 6 spaces:
1. Internet
2. MSN, AIM, Skype
3. iTunes
4. Lightroom, Photoshop
5. Ableton Live
6. Quicktime for movies

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.