Safari problem - new tabs

Reaction score
Hi there

Recently, when I open up a new tab/page in Safari the other tabs/pages revert to the blank/top sites/history page. It's happening more often now and really bugging me.

I have a MacBook Pro running Safari 5.0.2.

I've tried to find an answer to this issue Ibut couldn't find it - so apologies if this has already been answered somewhere.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not heard of this issue - but I'd try deleting the Safari preference file.

You'll find it at MacHD / Users / Your User / Library / Preferences / com.Apple.Safari.plist

Quit Safari - move that file to the desktop - if it works you can trash it, if not you can move it back where you got it or trash it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi - thanks for your speedy reply.

I tried this but now Safari opens without the option to create tabs..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open Safari - Preferences

Head for the Tabs section and set it how you like. Probably has 'Never' in the drop down box there at this point.

OP
P
Reaction score
Re: Safari tabs

Hi - I wanted to update you on how I got on with your suggestion. It worked - so thank you for that. The only thing that doesn't happen is when I open up Safari the grey block at the top that gives you the option to click a new tab doesn't appear (does that make sense?). But I can live with that - once I click the short cut key and 'T' - it then opens up.

So, thanks again for your help.

Best wishes

Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.