Macbook air 1.6ghz power issues (component level)

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I have this MBA 1,6 A1237 which is dead at the moment and i need some help on a component level.
When i press the power-button nothing obviously happens, though the button is functioning and the Logicboard get the signal, I can say that cause i am able to reset the smc by shift+ctrl+alt+cmd and power.
The only way i get the machine to power up is by short circuiting (see picture here)the 4th and the 2nd jumpers on the topcase when the IPD Board Flex Cable is connected, the machine starts, i get POST and all but when i release those jumpers it shutdown immediately.
I just wonder if anyone here have experienced that and found a fix.
I do have other boards laying here that i can pull out components from.
Btw..I did disconnected any cables that might be short circuiting and it seems to be on board, component issue.

Thanks in advanced!

OP
D
Reaction score
Allright, Can anybody recommend me a kind of technician/electronic forum where i might find an answer?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks mate but i need deeper level then ifixit.

You can't get any deeper level than ifixit if you wish to do the repairs yourself. Otherwise you'll need to take your Air to an experienced Apple repair tech. It's up to you.....

OP
D
Reaction score
You can't get any deeper level than ifixit if you wish to do the repairs yourself. Otherwise you'll need to take your Air to an experienced Apple repair tech. It's up to you.....

Well I am actually experienced Apple technician and can troubleshoot and replace any part in any mac, but I don't have enough experience with troubleshooting and repairing Logicboards on the component level and I mean not just exchange them for a new logicboard, thats the easy part..
I need to locate the faulty component in the logicboard and replace it with a new one so the defective board is up and running again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is that Apple does not release their diagnostic software to the general public nor do they offer service manuals. Unless you can get hold of a service manual and have the right soldering equipment, it may be difficult to do component level repair on the logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Apple look after their schematics and component level repair info with more security than the CIA. Faulty boards are eventually repaired in batches at a contractor using ATE. Additionally, you'll find Apple make use of some custom IC's. The only repairs possible on some boards are replacing the BGA graphics chips, then you need to be kitted up with the right equipment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.