Unable to hide Dock using cmd+option+D

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I find it quite distracting to have my dock visible and almost always have it hidden. However recently when I hide it using the cmd+opt+D shortcut, it stays hidden only as long as I've held the keys. As soon as I release any one, my dock appears again.

I did find a msg posted on this here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1399125&#1399125
But the solution posted there was to uninstall Textpander or Textexpander. I don't and never did have that installed.

Frustrating!

Anyway, would appreciate any help or guidance how I can go about fixing it.

Cheerio,

Arif
Bangalore, India

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tired doing it throught the System Preferences for the Dock?

OP
B
Reaction score
Have you tired doing it throught the System Preferences for the Dock?

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

It works fine if I want to hide it either from System Prefereces, or even if I right click from my dock and select hide. It only doesn't work with my shortcut key. :-(

And suppose I keep it permenantly hidden from System Preferences, when I hit the short cut cmd+opt+D, it shows up, but only as long as I hold the keys, as soon as i release them (to hold the mouse), it goes back to hiding.

Arif

Reaction score
G'day Bangalore Mac & welcome to Mac-Forums.

Try pressing Control+F3 and let me know what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
when hidden, does the dock pop up when you hover the mouse down there, like it should?

For me, the keyboard shortcut doesn't register until I release one of the keys, which is probably the normal thing to happen - so I find it odd that it only works while you hold the keys.

You might want to try changing the shortcut. Go to system preferences>keyboard and mouse. From there, you should be able to designate a new shortcut. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I'm stumped for now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That's funny, I had this problem at work, but I do have Textpander installed... Good to know!

Reaction score
It's not TextExpander / Workaround

The problem described here is a known bug in Mac OS X with Universal Access Keyloggers. When keyloggers are enabled, there is a problem with hiding and showing the Dock using cmd+option+D. This does _affect_ TextExpander, but it is not caused by TextExpander.

One of our users submitted a clever workaround. In the Keyboard & Mouse System Preferences, under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, under "Dock, Exposé, and Dashboard", next to "Automatically hide and show the Dock", if you double-click the shortcut and change it to something other than cmd+option+D, you'll find that the dock will hide and show properly.

Rest assured, we have reported this bug to Apple, and we expect they'll fix it in a future release of Mac OS X. In the meantime, the workaround above should allow you to use a keyboard shortcut for automatically hiding and showing the Dock while running TextExpander or other keyloggers.

Regards,

Greg
TextExpander Support
[email protected]
http://www.smileonmymac.com/textexpander
--
SmileOnMyMac - creative software for your Mac that does what you want!
PageSender (fax), DiscLabel, PDFPen/Pro (edit PDFs), and PhotoPrinto.
http://www.smileonmymac.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.