The Volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Reaction score
I've been experiencing frequent lockups in multiple applications. I ran Disk Utility and get, "The Volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired."

I tried to reinstall Snow Leopard but it wouldn't boot from disk, so after many, many attempts I finally bought the download upgrade to Lion. I reran Disk Utility and I'm still getting the Volume error.

Diagnostics shows no issues. All software updates have been done.

What's next?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you tried booting from your system discs and running Disk Utility that way? Sometimes issues are unrepairable while an OS is being run from the partition.

Since you mentioned you now have Lion, this is even easier to do. Just start with the machine off, turn it on and then immediately press and hold Command+R. Once you do, the Lion Recovery menu should come up after a bit. Run Disk Utility from the menu and run Verify/Repair Disk and Verify/Repair Permissions.

If this doesn't do the trick, you may need to do a filesystem repair using fsck, as described in this article:

Mac-Forums Blog » Mac Hardware » Basic Mac Troubleshooting

And finally, use the SMART Utility to check for hardware issues:

Volitans Software- Makers of SMART Utility for the Mac

The free trial is fine, you don't need to buy it.

And if you haven't already run a backup, now would be the time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks

I fixed it just a few minutes ago by simply booting to Safe Mode (Hold SHIFT key during bootup). It automatically ran a disk repair. After the reboot into normal mode I ran the Disk Utility and no issues!

Thank you for reading and for your guidance.

To sharing knowledge!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.