Old iMac help.

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I’m a newbie to Mac, but I received a older version of the iMac from a friend who hasn’t used it in a while, and I was wondering if there are any cool things that I can do with it like connect to wireless internet or utilize any useful programs? Wanted to know if its worth the space taking it back to school. Thanks in advance!

Here is a picture of the kind of iMac it is.

old-imac.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
That picture doesn't work. Posting the specs would be helpful as we could determine what programs you can run and what you can do with your iMac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello everyone!

I’m a newbie to Mac, but I received a older version of the iMac from a friend who hasn’t used it in a while, and I was wondering if there are any cool things that I can do with it like connect to wireless internet or utilize any useful programs? Wanted to know if its worth the space taking it back to school. Thanks in advance!

We could still use some specs on your iMac (such as CPU speed)...but from the looks of it...it looks like a "Bondi" 233mhz iMac.

This iMac model IMHO has one serious limitation (compared to the later iMacs with the same form factor)...and that is they are not capable of wireless networking. But not really a big deal if you don't mind using an ethernet cable.

Other than that...it did not come with a DVD drive, and because of it's approx. 12 year-old cpu, graphics hardware, and system bus speed...many internet pages will load pretty slowly...and don't even thing about going to You-Tube.

But these old iMacs can still be fun...especially if you are using some older software that this iMac can run more easily.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
hey thanks guys here are some of The specs: 400 MHz PPC G3 Processor, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, DVD drive, DSL Ethernet modem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
hey thanks guys here are some of The specs: 400 MHz PPC G3 Processor, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, DVD drive, DSL Ethernet modem.

Aah...the 400mhz models are much better. DVD drive, wireless networking capable, faster CPU.

I have a couple of these. They are actually pretty useful computers. Decent for most internet surfing, good for e-mail, run MS Office, and running older games & software.

You still don't want to go to graphics/video intensive websites like You-Tube with this iMac.

What OS version is on it?

Have fun with it,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.