• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A new Mac in my future?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, of course, at some point...

:Smirk: Tongue firmly in cheek:
Do ya think Leopard is becoming obsolete?

Today for the first time, I was unable to do something I tried because of the OS, on a web page, of course. It wanted me to upgrade flash, so, ok, I was ok with that. However, the process was over before it could begin. The OS X selection was for 10.6 or higher.

Now, I've been pondering the purchase for at least a year now. Give me another year, at least. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I'm reading things correctly...it sounds like the issue is with the OS (10.5 Leopard) not the computer (Core 2 Duo Mac-Mini). So all that needs to be done is an OS upgrade...and not a new computer (as the thread title suggests).:)

And of course a Snow Leopard install disk only costs $19.99.:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Agree with Nick. Personally, can't think of a "good" reason for anyone to still be running 10.5 on an Intel Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I agree with the two post above.. Although if your RAM is 4GB or less. I would consider a RAM and OS upgrade. Both are economical and easy.

C

chas_m

For security reasons if nothing else (and there is PLENTY else ... compatibility with the Mac App Store, supported updates, an iTunes version compatible with newer iOS devices and on and on and on, and yes current Flash and Java), you should upgrade to Snow Leopard if you are able. Cheapest and best upgrade you will ever do for that machine.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I'm reading things correctly...it sounds like the issue is with the OS (10.5 Leopard) not the computer (Core 2 Duo Mac-Mini). So all that needs to be done is an OS upgrade...and not a new computer (as the thread title suggests).:)

And of course a Snow Leopard install disk only costs $19.99.:)

- Nick

My research indicated that Mountain Lion will not run on this Mac.

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM21.009A.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.19f2

I don't recall what it was, maybe the graphics card? Something arcane. Needs more RAM, which I bought and then returned because I didn't see the point in just upgrading to Snow Leopard, or Lion and losing Spaces. Plus, up until yesterday, it never refused to do anything I asked of it.

For security reasons if nothing else (and there is PLENTY else ... compatibility with the Mac App Store, supported updates, an iTunes version compatible with newer iOS devices and on and on and on, and yes current Flash and Java), you should upgrade to Snow Leopard if you are able. Cheapest and best upgrade you will ever do for that machine.
Don't care about any apps on the App Store other than a free OS upgrade. Don't have any iOS devices, and have no plans to ever buy one. But the on and on part gives pause. ;)
I am able to upgrade to SL, but not so inclined.

The next wall I will hit is the tiny size of the hard drive. Well, I've hit it already.
Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00:
Capacity: 74.53 GB
Model: Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00
Revision: SB2AC7MP
For now, I'm going to a 64 MB flash drive to move some music and photos. I only have the music in order to burn recordings from vinyl onto CDs or copy to an MP3 player. I don't know why I'm keeping the photos. They're kind of a back up to the negatives, 'cause if they're worth keeping, they get printed, with the exception of some old legacy photos.

The newest Mini has a 1TB hard drive. That's what has me salivating, not the new OS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My research indicated that Mountain Lion will not run on this Mac.

You are correct...Mountain Lion (10.8) is officially not supposed to be able to run on this computer (unless there's some sort of work-around). 10.7.5 (Lion) is the max. OS.

But...your specs say the Mini has 1gig of ram. So to run Lion (10.7) it's supposed to need at least 2gig of ram. Max. installed ram can be 4gig...but as with many Apple computers of this vintage (MacBooks and MacBook Pro's)...only around 3.25gig is addressable.

...I didn't see the point in just upgrading to Snow Leopard, or Lion and losing Spaces. Plus, up until yesterday, it never refused to do anything I asked of it.

The initial post only mentioned issues with 10.5...so logically...an OS upgrade to at least 10.6 would make sense (just $19.99). There was no mention of the "OS upgrade goal" being all the way up to OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

If you've been using OS 10.5 up to this point...what's the rush to get all the way up to OS 10.8 (no "must have" need was mentioned above)? It will only cost $19.99 to get to OS 10.6...and another $19.99 to get to 10.7 (10.7.5). So a total of about $40 bucks. A new computer (if a new Mac-Mini) will cost at least $599.

But if your goal is to upgrade to at least OS 10.8...then it would seem that a new computer may be necessary.:)

The next wall I will hit is the tiny size of the hard drive. Well, I've hit it already.

The newest Mini has a 1TB hard drive. That's what has me salivating, not the new OS.

You definitely don't need a new computer for this. You can certainly install a new 1 terabyte hard drive into your current Mac-Mini.:)

- Nick

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok guys, given all of the helpful info above, I might consider an upgrade to SL. But, when I did a search on Apple's site for SL, "snow leopard software purchase" came up, so I picked that. All the "hits" were Mavericks (top choice) and Lion. Why do they make it difficult? I'll have to dig deeper when I have more time.

And 1GB of RAM will be enough for SL, won't it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not really that hard - if wanting to purchase something...

When you go to Apple's site - click the "Store" link first - then search for Snow Leopard - you will get results from the "store" where it will show up as the top hit.

If searching from the main Apple page - you're going to get a ton of hits for SL - typically the newest &/or highest ranked pages first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
You are correct...Mountain Lion (10.8) is officially not supposed to be able to run on this computer (unless there's some sort of work-around). 10.7.5 (Lion) is the max. OS.

But...your specs say the Mini has 1gig of ram. So to run Lion (10.7) it's supposed to need at least 2gig of ram. Max. installed ram can be 4gig...but as with many Apple computers of this vintage (MacBooks and MacBook Pro's)...only around 3.25gig is addressable.
- Nick

O' Wow.. Didn't realize that system was that old. Would have thought it would at least had 2-4GB of ram upgradable to 8 or so and able to run Mavericks.. /hmm I really hate that..

Guess its time to upgrade to a newer model. Newer models sadly already being a year old..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok guys, given all of the helpful info above, I might consider an upgrade to SL. But, when I did a search on Apple's site for SL, "snow leopard software purchase" came up, so I picked that. All the "hits" were Mavericks (top choice) and Lion. Why do they make it difficult? I'll have to dig deeper when I have more time.

It's really pretty easy (enter "Snow Leopard" into the Apple Online Store's search field):)...but regardless...here's the link to purchase Snow Leopard:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

And 1GB of RAM will be enough for SL, won't it?

Yes...Snow Leopard requires 1gig of ram (more would be better).:) But give it a try with 1gig, and see how things go.

I wanted to mention one other thing. You indicated that your hard drive is getting full. One nice little bonus with upgrading to Snow Leopard (10.6) from Leopard (10.5)...is you get back some hard drive space. The 10.5 install takes up around 20gig...the Snow Leopard install takes up about 10gig. So you get about 10gig back.

This may not be a whole lot...but on a 75gig hard drive...10gig back is a pretty good chunk!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
O' Wow.. Didn't realize that system was that old. Would have thought it would at least had 2-4GB of ram upgradable to 8 or so and able to run Mavericks.. /hmm I really hate that..

Guess its time to upgrade to a newer model. Newer models sadly already being a year old..

Yes...this is a fairly old Intel Mac-Mini (from 2007). Technically...the Official Apple max. ram for this Mac-Mini is 2gig. But like many of the Intel based Mac's...it was found to actually be capable of more. Like I mentioned above...4gig of ram can be installed. But because of the architecture/EFI of this model...only 3.25gig of the 4gig is addressable. It's like this with other MacBooks & MacBook Pro's of similar 2007 Vintage.

The first Mac-Mini capable of 8gig of ram...was the "Early 2009" Mac-Mini (basically the model that came after the model mentioned in this thread).

- Nick

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really that hard - if wanting to purchase something...

When you go to Apple's site - click the "Store" link first - then search for Snow Leopard - you will get results from the "store" where it will show up as the top hit.

That was quick. My first search led to a dead end. Remember, with Leopard, I've had no reason to get familiar with Apple's web site. I probably didn't even notice the Store button yesterday.

I'll probably make the move on this next month. The link to how to set up Spaces was the clincher.

Since Leopard has been my only OS X version, I've haven't upgraded since going from OS 8 to OS 9. All I know about it comes from what I've read here and on other forums.

I'm assuming that if a newer version of Safari comes along for the ride, all my bookmarks will be protected. Likewise, a newer iCal would just pick up everything I've done and make it available without skipping a beat.

I purchased iWork '08 discs after my 30 day trial had been expired for, oh, about 5 years. From what I can remember reading, that version does not qualify me for a free upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Y........But because of the architecture/EFI of this model...only 3.25gig of the 4gig is addressable. ......
- Nick

Always thought that was a windows issue, didn't realize it was on the hardware side. Up until last year I was using AMD and Linux..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Always thought that was a windows issue, didn't realize it was on the hardware side. Up until last year I was using AMD and Linux..

You got it. Exactly the same thing you find with Windows computers of similar vintage. I guess Intel hardware is Intel hardware. I think that I was working with a Dell D620 laptop (or a Dell laptop model close to that)...and it fell into this category.

Officially this Apple computer is supposed to only be capable of 2gig of ram...so even 3.25gig (or there about) is better. But of course the full 4gig would have been awesome.:)

I have a couple "White" Intel iMacs that fall into the same category.

- Nick

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since Leopard has been my only OS X version, I've haven't upgraded since going from OS 8 to OS 9. All I know about it comes from what I've read here and on other forums.

I'm assuming that if a newer version of Safari comes along for the ride, all my bookmarks will be protected. Likewise, a newer iCal would just pick up everything I've done and make it available without skipping a beat.

I purchased iWork '08 discs after my 30 day trial had been expired for, oh, about 5 years. From what I can remember reading, that version does not qualify me for a free upgrade.

Right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's right, iWork 08 unfortunately does not qualify you for an update to either iWork 09 or the new Mavericks version. You couldn't run the new version even if you did get it for free, at least until you get rid of your ancient Leopard.... :p

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's right, iWork 08 unfortunately does not qualify you for an update to either iWork 09 or the new Mavericks version. You couldn't run the new version even if you did get it for free, at least until you get rid of your ancient Leopard.... :p
But if I buy a new Mac with the latest OS (10.10?) I'll get the latest version of iWork too.

Thanks for the reply to part 2 of that post. For anyone else who wants to reassure someone who doesn't do this very often, if at all, here's part 1 again...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But if I buy a new Mac with the latest OS (10.10?) I'll get the latest version of iWork too.

That's right, buying a new Mac regardless of which version of OS X it comes with gets you the new iWork apps. However, if you're used to the older Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, you'll need to get accustomed to the new versions. Apple did a re-write on all three. Lots of complaints especially about Pages: no scripting, some features have been removed, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.