Strange Images Appearing in Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Unibody Macbook Pro, 10.6.8
Hello,

Please look at the screenshot. I am not connected to anything else besides my Aiprort and this has never happened before. I reboot and it comes back.

10.4.8 | PowerBook 17"

Something to be worried about?

Thank you

Picture 13.png

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums!

Whoah! That is very strange indeed, sonaro! Did you try trashing your Finder pref file?

The path is this: Macintosh HD ---> Users ---> Your home directory ---> Library ---> Preferences ---> com.apple.finder.plist

After putting that file into your trash, you will need to restart for changes to take effect.

Let us know if this works.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice to meet you too, MacHeadCase!

Just did and it worked. Thanks!

Is that it? Just set my prefs back up?

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah sometimes the pref file gets a bit weird and it messes up the Finder interface somewhat. Now that all is ok you can empty the trash to delete that pref file.

Another thing you can do is download MainMenu to run the maintenance tasks. You will notice that there are daily, weekly and monthly tasks and they have to be run especially if you shut down your Mac every day like I do or put it to sleep for the night. In sleep mode, the Mac will not run its built-in maintenance tasks.

That is why MainMenu is cool 'cause you can run them manually yourself and thus make sure your Mac will be fit and healthy.

Anyway glad your problem is solved, man! :girl:

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is MainMenu like Onyx? I repair my permissions maybe once every 2 weeks and perform an optimization of the whole system. I also repair permissions before and after updates.

M

MacHeadCase

Repairing permissions is not the same thing and quite frankly I think this repair permissions problem was solved with Tiger while in Panther it was indeed a big messy problem. I still run the repair just out of habit I guess, but I hardly get anything in the task report.

The tasks OS X runs on itself is for maintenance not disk permissions to fix.

And yes MainMenu is a bit like Onyx, only it has less bells and whistles that OnyX has. To me MainMenu is handier but I use both.

Edited to add:

This might help explain the built-in maintenance tasks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much MacHeadCase!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.