Bookmarks Toolbar - Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Firefox 3.6 - My Bookmarks Toolbar keeps sorting the items, folders first, then file icons in alphabetical order. Used to be I could arrange my Bookmarks Toolbar up by dragging the items to where I wanted them. They would stay there. I can still drag them, but they revert back to sorted every time I quit and reopen Firefox. Any ideas of how to stop that behavior?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As per the instructions here, try the following:
1. Go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks...
2. Click on "Bookmarks Toolbar" on the left hand side and click the toolbar button that looks like four lines (the Views button).
3. Go to Sort > Unsorted.

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Well, nice try, no cigar. The sort function in FF 3.6, it's not where vansmith said. But I found it under Organize Bookmarks/Views. Why do they always have to change that kind of stuff around, anyway? So there are a bunch or sorts to choose from, including "unsorted." Turns out that "unsorted" is something of a misnomer. What it does is put the folders first, in alpha order, then the files in alpha order. Sort by "name" puts them both in alpha order regardless of whether the item is a file or folder. That's why my Bookmarks Toolbar keeps organizing itself as it does. It is an "unsorted" toolbar, which apparently means folders and files separately alphabetized. Bummer!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As per the instructions here, try the following:
1. Go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks...
2. Click on "Bookmarks Toolbar" on the left hand side and click the toolbar button that looks like four lines (the Views button).
3. Go to Sort > Unsorted.

Well, nice try, no cigar. The sort function in FF 3.6, it's not where vansmith said. But I found it under Organize Bookmarks/Views.
You're right, it is under Organize Bookmarks > Views. I think I saw that somewhere... ;).

Mine is unsorted and I don't have that problem. I can organize mine out of order and they seem to work. I tried moving the folders out of order (I keep folders together) and restarting and it worked fine.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You're right, it is under Organize Bookmarks > Views. I think I saw that somewhere... ;).

Mine is unsorted and I don't have that problem. I can organize mine out of order and they seem to work. I tried moving the folders out of order (I keep folders together) and restarting and it worked fine.

What's a bookmark? LOL seriously though, mine is pretty much unsorted too. I love you firefox + foxtab + speedial.

20100123-fghydcb4jidhhkh5d59ihwixcw.jpg

This is pretty much my bookmarks. >_<"

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
OK guys, for some reason mine is now working like vansmith said. It wasn't before, but now it is. I once was lost but now am found. Go figure. Thanks!

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Nope, still go good. It was OK asleep overnight, and for a couple of sleep/wake cycles this morning. But now I just came back from washing some dishes, woke the MBP up, and my FF Bookmarks Bar is back to Folders/Files in alphabetical order again. How infuriating! :(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm at a loss for explaining what the issue is here but it could have something to do with your Firefox profile. Try creating a new profile (instructions here) and test to see if you encounter the same issues using that newly created profile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.