imac too hot ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
in os x its fine. running normal apps. safari, itunes, imovie, PS7 etc.

but in windows when i run games it sometimes restarts itself. after an hour of gaming or so.

i know about speedfan and have it but i cant up the fan speed on it as the fans dont appear.

any other programs i could use. or any other ideas ?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Wow that's hot. Does the machine have enough ventilation? Is the room hot? Is the machine in a dirty/dusty environment?

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i dont know if it restarted because of the heat but i would guess so. umm yh the room is about 19-21*c. room temp. classic bedroom. not much dust. sat of desk - enough ventilation.

any ideas ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
in os x its fine. running normal apps. safari, itunes, imovie, PS7 etc.

but in windows when i run games it sometimes restarts itself. after an hour of gaming or so.

i know about speedfan and have it but i cant up the fan speed on it as the fans dont appear.

any other programs i could use. or any other ideas ?

thanks

Apple tends to run some of the 3D chips at a lower clock speed than normal. It's possible Windows runs it higher?

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok. any ideas of how to bump the fans up ?

tried speedfan and it doesnt recognise the fans.

Reaction score
I just purchased the 24" iMac & it runs very, very warm due to the processor being built into the screen. I work in a tiny office that heats up quickly so I had to do something... keep in mind my iMac has never shut itself off, but I didn't give it much of a chance. The first day I received it, I went out & bought a small personal fan, and set it behind the monitor. It's quiet, has 2 speeds & keeps me AND my iMac cool. I figure it will also help prevent any dust issues, as it doesn't have time to settle, LOL!

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
update: i dont think it was over heating

i rekon it was some security software on windows from BT (british telecom) which conflicted with zone alarm.

hasnt done it since i have un installed it so will let you know if it happens again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.