C compiler for OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
Does anyone know of a good free C compiler for OSX ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You can compile C programs in the Terminal using GCC which is preinstalled on your Mac. You can also find lots commercial / free GUI compilers as well. Apple’s very own XCode 2 is one of the best (according to Apple) but I am kind of disappointed with its complicated structure. Eclipse with the CDT plugin is another free alternative and works pretty well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
gcc is the golden standard in the open source world and it is available on your Mac. If not , you need only install it from your system DVD. I think it is under XCode Tools or some such. It works great - I use it all the time. Tiger comes with gcc-4.0.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
gcc + pico (editor) = my favorite.

Reaction score
You can compile C programs in the Terminal using GCC which is preinstalled on your Mac. You can also find lots commercial / free GUI compilers as well. Apple’s very own XCode 2 is one of the best (according to Apple) but I am kind of disappointed with its complicated structure. Eclipse with the CDT plugin is another free alternative and works pretty well

Will this work for compiling programs such as ps2pdf (from Ghostview or similar). I attempted to compile the above and my MacBook Pro said there was no compiler available. When I resorted to the help window and punched in C compiler nothing at all came up. How do you use it and where can it be found?

Thank you

Disregard my question above, I found the Xcode Tools and installed the Compiler and it works now. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
gcc + pico (editor) = my favorite.

Excuse me, but real programmers use butterflies.

real_programmers.png

And to be on topic, I find the GCC that comes with Xcode developer tools is perfectly fine, even if it is 4.0.1. I would actually recommend against using the GCC from HPC, because it seems the installation of python assumes you have access to certain Apple-only gcc options, and it's possible this could cause an issue if anything else assumes the same thing when it detects Darwin (though it's highly likely only Python does this, and I'm pretty sure you can install it with an installer anyway... I'd at least keep both on your system, just to be on the safe side).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.