Is it possible to substitute a 24" iMac with..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2/2
A Mac Mini + a TV such as a 26" flat screen Sony?

I am just weighing my options before I press submit (Again)..

I feel paying Around $1,900 for a new iMac is like paying a premium for having the 'all in one', which I am sure it is, no doubt, but being a finance student, I am interested in maximizing my dollar.

I previously had the Samsung 22" 226bw monitor hooked up to my Macbook, and it really looked like . Everything was exploded looking, and the colours were never accurate, no matter how many times I calibrated it.

The big question: What 24-26" Monitor could I hook up to a Mac Mini and receive optimal, if not better visual representation, than a 24" iMac?

Thanks from Toronto - Trevor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
No Tv is going to display as well as a computer monitor Trevor. There is a post on this somewhere around.

I just, 10 minutes ago ordered a 24" imac, and I don't think a mac mini and a tv would replace it at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The mini does not have a graphics card - it uses motherboard graphics. There is a big difference right there. Also, the iMac has faster processors than the Mini line, so the machine will run faster too.

The iMac is actually a pretty good deal when you consider everything that comes with it. I would get the iMac.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2/2
Great suggestions, thanks guys..

With that said, I have a pending order for a Refurbished iMac from Apple.. Should I cancel and buy new, or keep the order?

Feeling a little sketchy about that one..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I did a bit of research a while back about the whole TN VS IPS display panel debate. I read that a lot of 22" displays are using the cheaper TN panel. TN panels are not that good for color accuracy with pictures. I wonder if that is what you were seeing? My friend has a 22" WS display and on the surface it looks great but it's far from accurate in colors if you really compare it to a better display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Samsung makes great TVs but bad LCD monitors. I wouldn't use a TV to replace a monitor. Video quality is actually worse because it's designed to reproduce motion not text.

The 24" iMac uses a far superior panel than your Samsung monitor. It's designed with color accuracy in mind.

I've bought refurbished. It's the smarter choice actually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I feel paying Around $1,900 for a new iMac is like paying a premium for having the 'all in one'

I previously had the Samsung 22" 226bw monitor hooked up to my Macbook, and it really looked like . Everything was exploded looking, and the colours were never accurate, no matter how many times I calibrated it.

That's why you pay a premium for an all in one ;)

I have a Samsung monitor and they are quite difficult to calibrate correctly. Plus it's a bit like playing russian roulette apparently: You either get an authentic "s" panel made by Samsung, or an "a" panel, which is a lot worse.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2/2
Just completed the Refurb 24" imac purchase.. Should be here between the 8th-12th of may.. :D

Thank you for all your input fellas.
-Trev

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Wow, that long?

I've bought a refurbished Mac that said it would ship in 3-5 days and it wound up shipping that day because I ordered it very early in the AM. Hopefully it will ship sooner than later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6 ghz, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD 7200rpm, 15" glossy display
no tv is gonna look as good as a computer monitor.... however you can use a tv if you so wish by buying the necessary adaption cables... probably DVI to VGA. I would go with the bigger one if you had to too but make sure the contrast ratio is high and the pixel frames are fast. However, the iMac screen is sexy, stylish and has incredible picture quality and therefore your tv option wouldn't be better than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
Computer monitors have way higher pixel density than most HDTV monitors. And when it all comes down to it, pixel density is what determines the crispness of the monitor.

About the only things a high quality HDTV will have that's better than a computer monitor is contrast ratio and maybe color vividness. But with the new LED backlit iMac monitors I really don't think that's a problem.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2/2
Well..

I am (as of 9 pm last night) using this might beast.. Very sexual this is..

Inspected the entire machine.. Everything is pristine. The only sketch issue was the OS install disk 1 was a little tattered and scratched.

Otherwise I would have easily been fooled it was new..

Don't worry, you'll hear back if anything goes wrong!

-T

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.