12" iBook plus tax

J

JRJ26

Well, I'm most likely going to get the 12" iBook next week. Does anyone know how much it'll cost plus tax at the Apple Retail Stores? Also, how is it performance wise? Is the 12" 933Mhz iBook substantially better? I'm also getting a desktop later on(i'm going to college this fall), most likely an iMac or 1.6Ghz G5, so do you think the 12" iBook is good enough? What have your experiences been with it? At the Apple Store, the 12" always would freeze, and would take a LONG time to come out of sleep.

OP
T

TylerMoney

What are you going to be doing with it? For internet, word processing, anything like that..you'll have absolutely no problems, and if you max out the ram, you can even do more. Look at the apple store for prices...I'm not sure how they handle tax.

OP
J

JRJ26

I'll just be doing the basics as you said, dvds as well. I'm still leaning towards the 12" PowerBook, but it's the cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
JRJ26 said:
Well, I'm most likely going to get the 12" iBook next week. Does anyone know how much it'll cost plus tax at the Apple Retail Stores? Also, how is it performance wise? Is the 12" 933Mhz iBook substantially better? I'm also getting a desktop later on(i'm going to college this fall), most likely an iMac or 1.6Ghz G5, so do you think the 12" iBook is good enough? What have your experiences been with it? At the Apple Store, the 12" always would freeze, and would take a LONG time to come out of sleep.

Apple's Store pricing is the same as its Web pricing, so if you build one on the website and multiply the total by 1.0X (where X = your state's sales tax %) you'll know how much it will cost. I'm not sure why the 12" at the Store was exhibiting the problems that you mention, but any of the current (or even previous-model G3) iBooks will be more than capable of handling word processing, Internet, DVD viewing, and more. For your uses, there really isn't any need to opt for the PowerBook, but I would agree that you should invest in additional RAM.

Also, don't forget that you should qualify for Apple's Educational pricing. I noticed that you're in NY (which is 8% sales tax if I recall), so your total for the 12" 800 iBook with Combo drive would be $999.00 x 1.08, or $1078.92.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
JRJ26 said:
Well, I'm most likely going to get the 12" iBook next week. <snip> At the Apple Store, the 12" always would freeze, and would take a LONG time to come out of sleep.
The iBook will run just like the iMac or any other. The one in the store has not been cared for -- needs most likely repair permissions ;)

OP
T

TylerMoney

Yes, sounds to me like you need to make new best friends with an iBook.

OP
S

s3pt1k

JRJ26 said:

There is no such thing as a 933Mhz iBook 12". :( the 12" model comes with an 800Mhz proc. Just wanted to clarify. IMO, the extra size in the 14" is worth the upgrades. :)

OP
J

JRJ26

yeah,lol, i meant the 14". Yeah, I wish they had that. I might look into the 14", though I'll probably stick with the 12".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I personally like the compactness of the 12 Powerbook. It's a gem! :) :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.