Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Hello everyone,

I currently have a iMac I bought last June. It's specs are as follows:

iMac11,3
Intel Core i5
2.8 Ghz
4 GB RAM

I think that is all the basics that are important.

In any case, I'm wanting to finally get some more RAM and I'm looking to buy from OWC.

I believe I currently have a total of 4 banks for RAM. I have 2, 2GB sticks in there currently. I'm looking to buy 16 GB's. But I'm curious about something.

I have a total of 4 banks. I believe I've read that my iMac is capable of supporting anywhere between 16 and 32 GB's of RAM.

So what would be you're all recommendation here?

I could buy two 8 GB sticks, put them in there with the other 2 2GB sticks for a total of 20. But would the odd number cause issues?

I could go for 4 4GB sticks and just replace it all only to have 16GB's. But would I be losing our on not having the extra 4 GB or would it even interchange like that?

I guess with my scenario, I'm just looking for the best recommendation from everyone.

Thank you,

Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I believe I currently have a total of 4 banks for RAM. I have 2, 2GB sticks in there currently. I'm looking to buy 16 GB's. But I'm curious about something.

I have a total of 4 banks. I believe I've read that my iMac is capable of supporting anywhere between 16 and 32 GB's of RAM.

So what would be you're all recommendation here?

I could buy two 8 GB sticks, put them in there with the other 2 2GB sticks for a total of 20. But would the odd number cause issues?

If it was me doing the upgrading…and if I just wanted to purchase 2 x 8gig at this time I would go for it…for a couple reasons:

1. I think that there's a good chance that 20gig will work.
2. If 20 gig doesn't work…you still will have successfully upgraded to 16gig.

You can always get another 2 x 8gig (for a total of 32gig)…later.:)

- Nick

p.s. As "louishen" mentioned. OWC does say that 24gig will work…so 20gig will probably work as well!:)

C

chas_m

A good answer also depends on what your budget is and what you're going to use the RAM for. Bumping to 32GB of RAM isn't going to make Microsoft Office work even one tiny bit better than it does under 4GB. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.