can't use video chat why?

Reaction score
I setup ichat using a jabber account I can chat via text but no option to use the video chat in buddies list if I click on a buddy only thing it shows black is the text feature the other 3 options are grayed out including the video chat so what am I doing wrong?

or is there some software one has to buy and install not included with the imac when purchased new?

I can see me if i open my built in camera am at a loss been to mac phone support they seem disinterested first time I have had that feeling since getting a mac.

oh well can someone please tell me what I've done wrong or?

also I need to be able to converse with my family and a few friends who are using windows vista, and me with the mac is this possible or? thanks for help on this. mystified

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
First more info needed. You can chat with the PC world using Skype audio and video. If u want multi party chat check out MeBeam here For sorting iChat look here What OS are you on and which hardware - there are small differences in set up. Best to get an AIM account and set up on that - look here

OP
M
Reaction score
hello collin bl, I am running the current leopard os and 2 year old 24"imac with 3.06 intel processor. I tried aim and for some reason it wouldn't remember my p-word so gave up on them! will check out what you sent me for help thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
M
Reaction score
hello Slydude, I have tried Jabber and Ichat all it would let us do is chat no video chat couldn't even click on the icon as it was grayed out! and no no msn messenger we tried google talk but found out it has no video chat feature so went jabber route still no go. I did setup a skype account and talked to other party and as soon as they can download and setup an account we'll try again. now I assume that when I get a contact I click on that persons name and then click on video camera like your supposed to in ichat? need to find out how to open my built in camera or does skype do that for me? need to go to skype and read but usually they dazzle you with mumbo jumbo instead of a simple do this and this and poof your live with the ugliest mug online.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Skype should recognize the iSight with no problems. In fact it is on their list of supported cameras. You do need to go into Skype's preferences, select the video section, then click Enable Skype Video. If I recall correctly you simply click the contact's name to open a chat window than click on the video camera to start video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.