Migration from 10.4.11 Imac G3 to Imac G5 24" intel

Reaction score
Friends,

I gave my old graphite G3 Imac to my brother in law 3 years ago. I cant afford one but I just talked him into buying a new 24" Intel Imac, and promised him that I would help him transfer his files, e-mail, bookmarks, photos, itunes etc. to his new machine.

I know about the firewire connection transfer but not sure how to do it and was not sure if the old Imac has a firewire port and if transferring from 10.4 to 10.5 will work.

If any of you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. I have to take a day off from work and drive 4 hours to help him, so I want to make sure I get it right. Ive heard I might have some problems with the apps????

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
If the G3 does not have Firewire, then it may be easier to get the G3 cloned using Carbon Copy Cleaner to an external drive and then have the external copied/cloned to the new iMac. Not sure if CCC will clone back to an Intel but the machine will need an external anyways...the 4 hour drive and the external must be roughly equal in value one would think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sorry to be picky, but in your title there is no such thing as a G5 Intel iMac.

G5 iMacs ceased production in January 2006.

OP
robertgarven
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your comments, sorry about my ignorance. I cant remember what my old G3 had and dont have a new intel mac so not sure about it either.

I do know I want a blue ray drive, matte screen and quad core processor.... ;-P

OP
robertgarven
Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid but how do I check what firmware I have on my computer or the G3 one also??

Rob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.