Apple Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

I've been using a web-based email for years and now I'd like to start using Apple Mail to access it. Is there anything special I - as a switcher from Windows - should be aware of?

Namely:

1) I have about 700MB worth of old, read emails stored in my webmail inbox, I don't want Apple Mail to download these to my Mac.

2) I don't want Apple Mail to remove my newly received emails from my webmail inbox, I just want the program to download them and display them but not to delete them from the original location - my webmail inbox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Does your email support IMAP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I think if you look in mail preferences accounts settings. You can see how to set up the mail client to do what you want. It is a good program or it works good for me at any rate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I think that when you first run Mail it will ask if you want to import any existing messages. If it doesn't, it's not difficult to just Select All and delete them, then empty the Mail trash (not the Dock trash).

Each account you create gives you the option to automatically delete messages from the server, never delete them or only delete them after a specified amount of time.

Reaction score
I've been using a web-based email for years and now I'd like to start using Apple Mail to access it.

There are some nice, free, tutorials on how to use Mail here:

http://movies.apple.com/media/us/fi...macosx-mail_basics-us-20090828_r640-10cie.mov

Apple Mail Tutorial (Mac Mail)

Hostmonster Tutorials :: Using Apple Mail

This page is invaluable if you are looking for add-ons to extend Mail's capabilities:
http://www.hawkwings.net/plugins.htm

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.