Power mac does not have mic input?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
I have tried three different microphones on my new powermac g4 MDD, but none of them work. I have the recording volume up all the way, but nothing happens. Why is this, and can I buy a cheap sound card or something if the built in one is defective? I am guessing that the jack next to the audio out is not audio in then, so I do not have a clue what it is. I have the PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are the Mics you are trying ones that work on most PC sound cards? Do they need power to run? (Mics with three contacts)?

The MDD's input is a Line/Mic input. A lot of Mics for PC's don't seem to work on that input. I will do some more research and get back to you.

There is a little USB device that I got for my first generation Mac Mini that has no input at all. It's called a Griffin iMic. Plugs into a USB port and works quite well.

Griffin Technology: iMic - USB Audio Interface

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive
Will that work the same as an analog mic input, i.e. is there potential for lagging if I have a slower machine?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Will that work the same as an analog mic input, i.e. is there potential for lagging if I have a slower machine?

All I can tell you is no lag on my G4 Digital Audio.

Reaction score
I haven't been very pleased with a handful of the lower priced USB microphones (low volume and clunky thick, short cables).

Isn't there one built into the new Apple Monitors with iSight?

That's on my wish list right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.