png files in icon view

Reaction score
Just noticed that OSX doesn't show thumbnails of png files in a folder like windows does. I have a huge collection of icons in png format that I use for UI design. Maybe I am doing something wrong or is OSX unable to show me thumbnails of png files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just set the folder view for "Icon View" and you should be fine.

Picture 1.jpg

M

MacHeadCase

If I understood your question correctly...

If putting your folders in Icon view doesn't change the generic icons to thumbnails, you could try CocoThumbX: this freeware will generate the missing thumbnails. Just drag and drop the files in the CocoThumbX window and Presto!!!, done!

Reaction score
will the Mac be able to do the same with all image files like Windows or only png files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
will the Mac be able to do the same with all image files like Windows or only png files?

Yes, you just have to turn "icon preview" on in View Options. It's off by default.

(It's strange that nobody mentioned this... From artdog's post, I'm not sure he/she has done this, which may be why he/she does not see "thumbnails.")

In the Finder:
View > Show View Options (keyboard shortcut: Command J)
Check "Show icon preview"

finder_icon_view_options.png

If "All windows" is chosen, then this will apply to... you guessed it, all windows (folders). ;p

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks. My confusion came from the fact that it doesn't work on my external ntsf drive. Maybe because it can't write to it. I am going to re-format it FAT32 whenever I get some time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.