Graphics Chip instead of extra HD w/ optibay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz i5 MBP 15", 300MHz G3 iBook Tangerine, G3 400MHz iMac BondieB, G4 iMac 17", Quad G5 PowerMac.
I have obviously heard about the recent adoration for the Optibay and likewise products. However, not needing a extra HDD (I have 750GB) and not having the money/need for a reasonably sized SSD. I was considering the options the Optibay style products would give.

I was wondering if it was possible to use the extra space for a new graphics chip? I barely use the i5 in my MBP, yet the 330m 256mb graphics card is constantly running at full capacity, however I know it is impossible to upgrade the soldered chip. So, using the SATA port, could you wire up a graphics card?

If not, is there any other types of new hardware I could fill the space with?
I have used the optical drive once since using the laptop, (to repair boot drive) and would be very pleased to be rid of it for extra features. I have no need for it inside the case, would it also reduce the weight any significant amount?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question/idea, but I was curious and lacked the technical knowledge to know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I'm aware, the only option available for the Optibay is a hard drive either standard SATA or SSD. I have not seen other options available such as an additional graphics card. Remember, the removal of the optical drive exposes an additional connection for SATA. Graphic cards for the Mac Pro for example, use PCIE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Just playing devil's advocate here, but let's say for a moment that you remove the optical drive from your computer to install something else. What happens if your HD has a failure/corruption and you need to boot from the OS disc to restore your system?

Not trying to argue with your idea, I just think an optical drive is nice to have, even if you don't use it much for the day-to-day stuff.

As far as installing a SATA graphics card goes, I have never heard about that being done on a MBP before. I don't know if it's possible, but it would definitely take some technical know-how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I was wondering if it was possible to use the extra space for a new graphics chip? I barely use the i5 in my MBP, yet the 330m 256mb graphics card is constantly running at full capacity, however I know it is impossible to upgrade the soldered chip.
You need to further explain your reasons for wanting this. The 15" i5 MBP already has two graphics cards built into it. They are the Intel graphics chip and Nvidia 330M. Apple really should have kept the option of switching back and forth manually in addition to the automatic mode in the new MBPs. I'm able to manually switch back and forth because I have the previous generation MBP.

In order to do this on the newer MBPs some people have been using an application called gfxCardStatus. I have not used it myself so I can't say how well it works but if all you want is to use a less power hungry graphics card then you should try that application and switch to the Intel graphics.

If you are just eager to get rid of the optical drive for something else then that is a different matter. I still find the optical drive useful so I personally would not want to get rid of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.