100s of crashes every time I update library

Reaction score
Hello,
Every time I want to update my itunes library, it ends up being a two to three week process, adding folders and restarting my computer constantly throughout the day. Fortunately, I have another computer to use while I go through this process.
The problem is that when I try to update or reload the library, the computer has a kernel panic( the gray screen that says “you need to restart your computer.” In four languages.) I have tried loading it manually, loading it through the import option in itunes, as well as through the preferences(changing the library folder and then changing it back and prompting a reload.)
I have then reverted to loading the library manually, going a to z through the artist folders. I am sometimes lucky and I get itunes to accept 500 folders at a time, but this is rare and even trying this is silly because 19 out of 20 times I get that ambitious I have to restart the computer. So I usually start with about 100 to 200 folders, each time picking up where I last was successful, and then it will crash, after which I will try 100 folders, then 50 or 20, then 10, all the way until I am loading individual folders. It crashes every try, and I just restart and try again with less. I usually just bring a spare computer with me while I work and just attend to it every 5-10 minutes or so, usually for several weeks. I do this about four times a year and have become very familiar with this process. I have the same problem with both my macbook and imac.
Loading individual folders would be fine although the computer can usually only handle two or three loads, regardless of size, before it crashes anyway. This is why I am constantly playing this game of trying to load as much as I can each time. Each time everything loads eventually, so I am unable to identify any problem files. I haven’t even been able to identify many trends or tricks, despite the number of times I have been through this tedious process. It seems any one folder can crash the computer but with enough tries that same folder can be loaded with hundreds more. Its all a matter of trial and error.

I like to reload my library in order to make sure everything is in the library, as every time I do this there seems to be files that had never been added to my library, and were just sitting on my drive. I am also constantly collecting new music.
I have a relatively large library( a little over 300gigs) with about 7500 folders.

Is there another program that can write the itunes library file?
I would like to continue using itunes as it is easy to use with my ipod and my DJ programs, but I will have to find something else if this proble persists beyond the next three to six months. (or my computers will get the ‘urban river float test’ or ‘golf club durability test’!) Once loaded I do not generally have problems with the library and I am able to copy and past the library file to another intel mac and load the library there in a jiffy.
Thanks for any help.
Will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Silly question...but have you tried reinstalling iTunes?

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.