Sticky Notes transfer:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro ~Snow
I have recently upgraded to 10.6.3 from 10.4.11
Little did I know that when I did a clean install I would not be able to transfer my saved Sticky Notes over to the new operating system.
My previous Sticky Notes held tons of very important info. I had them hidden on my computer and used them as a sort of password and user name recovery file; very important stuff.
I backed up my previous Sticky Notes on an external, along with everything else before the upgrade but when I tried to open them from the external today, and copy the info from them into the new Sticky Notes, I get the following error: (see attached image)
Any ideas... anyone?

Screen shot 2010-09-19 at 8.45.54 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try to open the Sticky Notes that you have on the external with TextEdit instead. Then you can copy and paste. Long process but it may be the only way you can transfer the data. The error message you received is self explanatory.

OP
kimberlysmoore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro ~Snow
Thanks for the idea but it didn't work.

Try to open the Sticky Notes that you have on the external with TextEdit instead. Then you can copy and paste. Long process but it may be the only way you can transfer the data. The error message you received is self explanatory.

I can't seam to find the notes on the external. The app is there but I can't figure out where the crucial info is kept. Searched through Libraries, Users, etc.

How about this instead: Is there a way to transfer my passwords from the old Safari to the new machine? Where would they be located on the external, if they can even be recovered? ..and aren't they called "keychains" instead of passwords?

As of this very moment, I found a little piece of info on the external that helped me to recover a piece of info that reminded me of the password I was looking for BUT, this problem will persist if I can't transfer those Stickies over.

Thanks for your help.

If all else fails, I will find a TigerOS and get the info that way, but it sure would be nice to conquer this and be able to say, "I figured it out with the help of my Google Mommy". :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.