10.6.3 - Problems with PDFs

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm new to Mac-Forums.com and I've got a complicated (or simple?) situation.

I originally had somehow lost preview, and I'd gone without it for quite a while. For the past few months I had been using Gimp to view PDFs - a major hassle, having to open each page in a separate window. Luckily, I bought Snow Leopard (10.6) because I needed the new SDK for some programming, which coincidentally would re-install preview. The install was clean, and I was pretty excited :D. However, when I went to change the default app to open PDFs (right clicking the PDF, then mousing over "open with" and choosing a default option) with preview, the "open with" selection was unavailable - i.e. gray.

--- Luckily, after rebooting, the problem was solved---

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
When that option is greyed out in that window, you need to change the "recommended applications" option to "all applications" .... see here.

OP
R
Reaction score
that's not what I meant, but nvm

Welcome to Mac Forums
When that option is greyed out in that window, you need to change the "recommended applications" option to "all applications"

I'm sorry, I'm not sure that you understood me - I can't reach that window. I'm unable to get to that type of formatted finder so that I can change the default programs.

--- Luckily, after rebooting, the problem was solved---

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.