Couple questions for you Mac heads!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
There's a few IMacs on ebay. A G3 350 Blue IMac... Do these have a good rep? I also need to know if I can upgrade the HDD? I have a 40GB that I'd love to use in it, but it would be coming from a PC... Will it run OS X smooth, or choppy? What about wireless... Can I just use an old corega USB wifi adapter and hope for the best? :p Any help would be apreciated.

Reaction score
IceCreamMan, I would be careful buying a Mac from eBay. Sometimes a company will have a stack of Macs for sale which are ex company computers.

I wouldn't touch them and have seen shill bidding happening on the items.

My advice is to check the Feedback of the seller; is it a long time member with lots of good feedback ... read the negatives and some of the positives.

Have a look at the bid history to see who is bidding ... once I see someone bidding who has 0 feedback I start to get a bit suspicious of Shill Bidding.

Weigh up the pros and cons of dealing with eBay to buy your Mac. Try to establish contact with the seller (I prefer individual private sellers to a eBay Store).

Here are a few links (I don't have direct experience with that particular Mac):

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_350.html

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/g3c.shtml

http://lowendmac.com/imacs/blue.shtml

M

MacHeadCase

Those old G3 gumdrop iMacs had a weakness: the analog board. That weakness carried over to the eMac first gen I was told by a techie. The analog board when it goes, prevents the iMac to boot completely as this is part of the hardware tests the Macs perform before continuing on to booting the system.

I dunno what they go for nowadays but I had a grape iMac that I bought from a friend and sure enough the analog board went dead on me. When taken in for repairs, I was told it would cost me around $450 CAN for the part + labour + taxes. So we decided to never mind and go for a brand new G4 iMac back then.

So just like Pulse I would advise you to be extremely careful with getting one of those: this time not because of a possible selling scam but simply because you might be caught with a computer that might not last long. Sure they are cute but anything can happen to them as they are quite old.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
Actually, that thing looks dog ugly! No offense to anyone who owns them... I was reading, and most of the problems have been fixed with the one I'm getting... I'm not if the seller knows I payed him as eBay is giving me problems left and right... Some are not getting my emails that go through eBay and what not... Thanks for the advice guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.