Problems getting windows running correctly on my imac

N

neil_a

Hi all

Can anyone help?

Intel Imac,10.4.7,latest firmware.

Have followed instructions from boot camp to load windows, partitioned 30 gig's and continued.Entered my product key, chose FAT32 and partition C and continued.Eventually I was presented with a window asking if I wanted to change the resolution of windows and tried to click OK, the mouse was working fine but wouldnt activate the OK tab. Windows continued on after 30 seconds. It finally booted up to show a lo res Windows desktop. I inserted my OS X drivers CD and waited ,nothing happened.Now, I dont know much about Windows but I do know that if you click START option it will ask you if you want to Turn off this computer.I couldnt get this to appear.Gave up and booted in OS X and erased the Windows partition in Boot camp,tried it all again,same results.

After some internet checks a site told me that in some cases, the Windows installer may incorrectly consider an erased volume with staleNTFS/FAT32 data as a valid file system,to fix the problem, erase the Windows partition in Disk Utillity and choose zero out data from the security options in the erase window, got this far but when I highlighted the No Name(Windows) partition it wouldnt allow me to choose any security options (geyed out) also the Volume format was greyed out.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong and cant see it,not sure. Any help on this matter would be gratefully recieved.Getting a bit frustrated.

Neil

Reaction score
If you chose a 30 gig partition you should probably be using NTFS or NTFS Quick partitioning.

OP
N

neil_a

htdefiant said:
If you chose a 30 gig partition you should probably be using NTFS or NTFS Quick partitioning.
Thanks, have tried that and it makes no difference.Do you think it would help if i wiped the hard drive completely and reloaded OS X and tried to load Windows again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
neil_a said:
Thanks, have tried that and it makes no difference.Do you think it would help if i wiped the hard drive completely and reloaded OS X
That would probably be best, in my opinion.
and tried to load Windows again?
I would first ask and evaluate what you need Windows for, before you try to install it again.

OP
N

neil_a

D3v1L80Y said:
That would probably be best, in my opinion.
I would first ask and evaluate what you need Windows for, before you try to install it again.
Thanks,I'm gonna go ahead and wipe the drive and start from scratch, I wouldnt normally care much for windows except my daughter is starting to use windows at school and figure it would be helpful and give her a level of continuity to load it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Are you using a Windows disc that has SP2 slipstreamed into it? This is important, and is your problem if you are not, especially since your graphics and volume are affected.

Also, as FAT32 formatting limit for Windows XP is 32GB, I would highly recomment that you choose NTFS (not quick format)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.