Connecting to another drive via another computer...

Reaction score
Is there a way possible for me to connect to a firewire/usb drive on one computer, from another computer? Any information would help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Yes. I do it all the time.

In my case I have connected an external HDD to my MacMini and keep my big files there. Whenever I need to access them from the iMac I would connect to the Mini (It should display in Finder > Network once you unable sharing) as an Admin.

Important: To access the individual files make sure to give the correct permissions)

OP
C
Reaction score
I can't connect to the drive via my powerbook... Is there something I need to have turned on? I can connect and get files from the main drive inside the computer, but not to any that are connected via firewire/usb...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 17" iMac Intel CoreDuo
I've got the same problem.......

First, what I suspect is the correct answer to your question.

Yes you can connect to the external drive connected to mac 1 over the network from mac 2 but you have to log into mac 1 via an administrators account.

ALSO, I highly suspect that the hard drive needs to be formated in Mac OS extended. I have had success accessing one of my external drives this way and am pretty sure I accessed a second succesfully in the past (both these were formatted in Mac OS extended). However, I have had nothing but frustration accessing the two others. The two I can't access are both FAT32 format.

Here's a question to whoever else is out there. I want to have a hard drive connected to Mac 1 which is natively readable by PCs AND which I can connect to over the network.

Does anybody have any idea how to do this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.