• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MBP vs MB

Reaction score
What's the deal exactly with this? i've been hearing that the MB out performs the MBP in some benchmarks, while some are claiming that it's actually generally "better" in performance than its Pro counterpart.

No way, right?

Also, the issues that plagued the MBP such as the faulty thermo paste application, the overheating issues, the faulty mag safe...anyone know if these problems exist in the MB?

I'm getting one or the other by the end of summer for college and was leaning towards getting a MBP up until recently when the MB was released...

What should I get, and should I wait till the end of summer, hoping that Apple addresses some of the MBP issues or that they update their laptop line (not necessarily public updates, but rather correcting reported flaws)??

I think many are in a similar boat as myself...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
There are some benchmarks at the link below. I think any speed comparison where the Mac Book beats the MBP would be limited to comparing a 1.83Ghz MBP to a 2Ghz MB.

If you look strictly at what is available at the relase of the MB (2.0 and 2.16 Ghz MBP's) then there is no Mac Book that is faster than a MBP. The 1.86 Ghz MBP has been dropped, or upgraded to 2ghz if you prefer. However, the differences are for the most part in the area of 3d graphics, where the MBP has a significant advantage.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firstlooks/macbookbench/index.php

Basically the MB is an excellent deal, as long as you don't plan to play 3d video games or do really heavy duty graphics work.

OP
V
Reaction score
Sounds great, thanks for the info...

Any ideas if the MB has any of the issues with heat as the MBP?

I don't care how hot it gets, as long as it doesn't jeopardize the hardware or performance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
vbr2 said:
Sounds great, thanks for the info...

Any ideas if the MB has any of the issues with heat as the MBP?

I don't care how hot it gets, as long as it doesn't jeopardize the hardware or performance...

There's a link in another thread about the heat. So far, it's been pretty negative. I'd suggest waiting at least another couple of weeks and see what washes out. Always posible there are a few duds but it's looking like the MB has some bad heat issues, worse than the MBP. Personally, I think I'm going to wait for a 'Rev B' MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
the MBP heat issue is over-hyped. I am typing this on an early release 1.83 Ghtz MBP on my lap, so no problem. go for the MBP....the sheer awesomeness....

C

composer

lonerider said:
There's a link in another thread about the heat. So far, it's been pretty negative. I'd suggest waiting at least another couple of weeks and see what washes out. Always posible there are a few duds but it's looking like the MB has some bad heat issues, worse than the MBP. Personally, I think I'm going to wait for a 'Rev B' MBP.

Can someone point us to this thread about heat?

I ask as this seems, possible?, to being the reason this gentleman had some problems....

http://www.johnwaller.org/apple/macbook/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
composer said:
Can someone point us to this thread about heat?

I ask as this seems, possible?, to being the reason this gentleman had some problems....

http://www.johnwaller.org/apple/macbook/

I can see heat being an issue.

But this guy seems to have some issues of his own, besides the ones coming from the factory :p

M

MJGUK

Well it depends what you require from your new laptop.
The MacBook is clearly a great value/high power notebook if your requirements are not extending to graphically intensive projects.
However if you do use your machines for reasonably GFX related projects, I'd have to suggest the MBP - As the dedicated graphics card is far superior to the MBs onboard graphics :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.