iPhone4 not detected by my mac

OP
T
Reaction score
So I just got off the phone with apple. They said the problem is most likely due to a faulty USB on my mac. Dammnit, it's only two weeks old!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
there's only one USB port on your Mac ?

OP
T
Reaction score
I mean, there's two but non of them detect my iPhone is they think there is something wrong with the way my USB ports were setup or installed...maybe even manufactured.

Reaction score
Well if it's a manufacturing defect then it most definitely isn't your fault. You shouldn't have let them off simply telling you it's a wiring problem. Call them again and get in their face about how this is their fault. However, something I would recommend far more than that is to simply take it to a Genius Bar at your local Apple store where their job is basically to help out with stuff like this. And instead of some frustrated cranky phone operator you'll find a twenty something person who might actually be interested in helping you :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Call them again and get in their face about how this is their fault.

Not necessary to have an attitude if you call them (or any company for that matter). Apple is happy to help you with your issue.

However, something I would recommend far more than that is to simply take it to a Genius Bar at your local Apple store where their job is basically to help out with stuff like this.

This is a good idea, though. Call your local Apple store and set up an appointment. If no store near you, call Apple Support line and ask how you can go about having the faulty USB ports repaired/replaced.

And instead of some frustrated cranky phone operator you'll find a twenty something person who might actually be interested in helping you :p

What makes you think the person on the phone is or will be cranky? Apple is #1 in customer satisfaction with their phone support 5 yrs running according to Consumer Reports.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Besides, only by connecting the iPhone to a known working machine with your cable and another cable will anyone know for sure whether it is your Mac, the iPhone or possibly even the cable that is at fault here.

OP
T
Reaction score
Genius bar - check for Monday
Testing on another computer - check-a-roni....it shows up on other macs laptops but not on mine. dammnit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
The same thing happened to me when I got my phone in the mail. I plugged it into iTunes with the supplied cable and nothing happened! Thinking the new cable was busted, I plugged it in with another iPod cable I had lying around and it worked. The next time I wanted to sync the phone, I used the new cable and it worked as well. Odd electro-gremlins, I tell 'ya!

Sounds like your mac might be at fault, hope you find a solution at the genius bar!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.