• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have guns?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.8 - 4 gigs - lots of programs - lots of media
I'm thinking about getting my concealed weapons permit...anyone else have theirs and if so what do you carry?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i have a couple of them ( glock g 22, sig sauer P220 dak) its just that the state i live in (new jersey) it is very diffucult to get a carrying permit yet alone a concealed one. they give these to retired police officers and to people with dangerous jobs that require it. for the average joe it almost impossible to get one. my uncle is a lieutenant in the state police so yea my chances suck even if he can help me out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Getting my CCW whenever I can get into some classes.

My sister is holding onto my gun for me until I do.

(Beretta 96)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I have a Nighthawk, a M14A rifle, as well as an AWP. Haha, just kidding, I can not get the license in my country except if I am in the military or an important person in the government. Just like Kelly said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I have a ccw, mostly carry in the back country if at all but the ccw makes some things easier. When I do carry it's either an XD9 (service model) or a 1911a1 (officers).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod
I have my CPL (Concealed Pistol License, for MI), I am currently in North Carolina which honors the permit.

I carried all the time in MI, don't carry much where I am in North Carolina, in a much nicer area. Only time I carry is when I go on late night craigs list transactions.

Instead the pistol stays in the dresser drawer.

I currently have an HK P2000 V2 9mm, it's nice.

I've had about 15 pistols in my life, HK is by far the nicest of the polymer bunch in my opinion. Best thing about the CCW is how easy it is to purchase a pistol in MI once you have one, was a pain to go back and forth getting it inspected, registered, and all that crap.

Should get it while you can, who knows what's gonna happen with Obama.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
When I lived in TN, I had a CCP. I usually carried a Pheonix Arms HP 22 LR, nice little 22 semi auto pistol with a 10 round clip. However, I also carried a S&W 38 snub nose. BAck home in TN I still have all my guns, but since I currently reside in Canada, I do not carry anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, fwiw I've been considering just getting a ruger sp101 or gp100 in .357 to carry, rather than the bottom feeder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Colt 1991A1 (stock) or Browning P35 (custom) depending on the weather and what I'm wearing. CorBon 185gr JHP +P for the .45 and CorBon 115gr JHP +P+ for the 9mm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'm following this thread with interest. In NZ, handguns are banned from private ownership, even private security operators. Exceptions are for collectors (who must obtain a special licence); and of course law enforcement and the military.

So my question to you who've posted replies is "what do you do with your handguns when you're not using them for their intended purpose?" following which ... "why do you own a handgun?".

Before anyone jumps on me, I am not a limp lefty trying to ban all private gun ownership. I too am a licensed gun owner, I was trained (decades ago) by the army to be a sniper, and I was (years ago) a licensed gun instructor. My firearms are rifles and shotgun, used only for hunting and pest control; and in dire, extreme emergency, for self-defence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, let me ask you.. what is their intended purpose? I have a .22lr pistol that's intended purpose is solely marksmanship ;)

Secondly, they're more convenient to carry than a long arm. I'd prefer to never actually have to use it in self defense, but I am more substantially trained than your average American in such use if need be (and continue to train on a regular basis). I live less than an hour from the border by car and spend a great amount of time in the back country along the border where we have a tremendous problem with arms smugglers, drug smugglers, people smugglers (well, you get the idea) and 999 (or 911) is of no use so one must be self sufficient. So, the ultimate in dualities.. do I feel I'm in danger out there? Not really, but I like the option to be prepared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think everyone's "intended purpose" is different. I like IPSC/Practical shooting so that's one purpose. I'm volunteer LEO so that's another. I'm also a citizen of the U.S.A. and it's my right to own guns, so perhaps to that end my "purpose" is to simply make full use of my rights (while they last). Like many folks, I have a variety of firearms from AR-15's to Ruger .22LR's and they all scratch an itch of some sort. Generally, I don't go places that I think I may need a gun if I can help it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
When I thought it mattered, I had a .22 Llama semi-auto. Then I was in a job where we carried a Browning 9mm on operations, it makes you view it in a totally different way - depending on your outlook of course.

Much as I would be tempted, I would never carry a concealed weapon again because I am not convinced that it would not 'alter' my demeanour so that 'trouble' would actually find me. It takes seconds to pull a weapon and decades (or a few seconds) to live (or die) with the consequences.

I would not deem to 'tell' people what to do, but my friendly advice is - if you NEED to carry, then you are spending time in the wrong places. Perhaps you should consider very carefully what is the reason or justification to carry a weapon - of any kind.

I did 24 years in the military and was a qualified firearms range officer - all weapons up to and including light machine guns on ranges from close quarter battle simulators to long gun ranges. The more I know about them, the less I wish to carry them - they alter peoples' characters when not used 'correctly'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
they alter peoples' characters when not used 'correctly'.

Spoken from a man with experience. And he is 100% correct. When you carry a pistol, it can make you feel 10 foot tall and bulletproof. IF you do not keep yourself in check at all times, it can and will lead you to trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The funny thing is that the biggest advantage the CCW has for me is I don't have to worry about it being considered 'concealed'. That and it's simplified any future firearm purchases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back on topic for the OP... what conditions are you looking to carry it under? Hot or cold weather, office or outdoors, etc... Do you plan to carry in an IWB (Inside the Waist Band) holster, a "fanny pack", or other? There are quite a few things that might present themselves as advantages or disadvantages when selecting the proper firearm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I remember I fired a M1 a while back at a friend's place. It isn't everyday you get to fire a WWII rifle. His pops was a collector and had a bunch of WWI and WWII weapons. My friend actually broke his collar bone from the recoil of a Springfield sniper rifle.

Anyone know where one could get a professional bow and arrow set? For archery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sure, there's an archery store up the street

oh and he shouldered it wrong

Reaction score
I have had my CCW since my state first allowed it. Mostly I carry a Glock 27, but other times when dress requires I may have a Colt mustang or even a small Seecamp. For lots and lots of info try Glock Talk Home .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MMMM, Seacamp. Nice score. Those are few and far between.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.