Slow Connection: Can You Help Me?

Reaction score
Hello again Mac community,
I have tried to do my research on this topic and I must admit…I’m not any closer to understanding what it is I’m trying to accomplish. So here is my situation and the very little that I have gleaned so far:

I have an Airport router that sends my cable internet connection to my MB Pro and my Xbox360. I use my cable connection for my home phone as well but it rarely gets used and, again, I don’t know how much it has to do with my problem.
I believe I suffer from “paying-for-internet-speed-that-I-don’t-actually-get”. I’ve searched for a good topical cream but have been unsuccessful. The reason I think my connection is not living up to its full potential is two fold: My friends laugh at how long it takes me to download updates (45 minutes for the iPhone 2.0.2) and iTunes movies (2 ½ hours for Ocean’s 13). Part two of my reasoning is the online gaming with my Xbox. I seem to be a few seconds behind my peers when I play most games online and it makes for a lousy time. It hasn’t always been like this mind you, it’s just getting worse all the time.

I have been given many bit’s of advise, none of which has been a silver bullet. (If there is such a thing):
-Restart your router: Done.
-Make sure your router is N rated: Not sure how I would check that but have tried none the less with no luck.
-Get a better connection: I am paying for the “best” that I can feasibly get. (I would love a T1 or pure fiber line but that’s just not going to happen)
-Clear the cache on your laptop and Xbox: Done.
-Port your 360: I really don’t know what this means.

I have dug as deep as I can into the AirPort utility as I am comfortable but there comes a point when I just don’t know what it all means. I hate to be such an ignorant user but such is life…

Is there anyone out there with the patients to help me through this quest for greater speed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.