something that shows how much HD space is left?

Reaction score
I'm doing pretty good with my new MacBook, but haven't figured out how to see how much HD space is used and what's free yet. Like the little pie on windows.

I know how to bring up the system profiler, but don't see where it's there?

Lori

Feeling stupid, but smart for switching to a mac in my "old age!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24
here's one way...

you can right-click on the desktop and choose 'Show View Options'.. then tick the check box that says "Show Item Info'... this will show the used/remaining space under any disk that's on your desktop

you can also right click on a disk icon (either in the finder or on the desktop) and choose 'Get Info', and that will give you info about your disk, including space available/used

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
If you just want to see how much space is free, click on your Macintosh HD and you will see the amount at the bottom of the opened window (in smaller letters, in the gray, border area).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
here's one way...

you can right-click on the desktop and choose 'Show View Options'.. then tick the check box that says "Show Item Info'... this will show the used/remaining space under any disk that's on your desktop

you can also right click on a disk icon (either in the finder or on the desktop) and choose 'Get Info', and that will give you info about your disk, including space available/used

Yes, and when you open a finder window, it tells you at the bottom of the window. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much guys...that was so simple I feel really stupid!

Don't feel stupid. When being new/ not having used something before, it takes some time to figure out the ins and outs. :)

OP
LGithens
Reaction score
I'm getting there....it hasn't been that hard. Just a lot of "new" all at once. Been trying to learn iphoto, Imovie, etc. plus how to do everything I did on my pc.

Enjoying it!
Lori

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm getting there....it hasn't been that hard. Just a lot of "new" all at once. Been trying to learn iphoto, Imovie, etc. plus how to do everything I did on my pc.

Enjoying it!
Lori

Just remember, it's not windows and somethings are done differently to accomplish cerain things you did in Windows. :) This thread will be really helpful to you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I use the istat pro also. It tells you all sorts of info about your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i love istat pro. ! an essiantial widget on ANY mac for any geek or person interested in their macs stats - temps, ram, hd, processes etc... LOVE IT !

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you want to see the Pie Chart on Disk Usage, open Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder under Applications. Click on the Disk Usage Tab. It shows a Pie Chart. You can select which drive you want info on.

Picture 1.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.