Networking Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello i have a pc desktop computer with wireless internet router setup next to it and i have a macbook pro. I wanted to network the files on the desktop computer with the macbook pro. pc desktop is a sony vaio running windows and the macbook pro has both os x and windows but i prefer using mac os. Please give me step by step on how to network the computers together because i have a external harddrive that is connected to the desktop computer and i want to tap into that external harddrive and get files from the hdd onto my macbook pro ! need help please thanks!

Reaction score
G'day colts1888 & welcome to Mac-Forums.

If you are newish to networking mac/pc it can appear to be quite daunting. Believe me, it's not too difficult a task to tackle on your Pat Malone (own).

It is difficult though, to give a step by step guide as in my own personal experience it is something that one needs to get their feet wet with just to help them understand the process.

I have provided various links where you are encouraged to experiment with and see if you can get your computers talking .... don't forget too that both your MacBook Pro and PC have help files which attempt to "hold your hand" in the networking process. You might find that it's a combination of procedures which lead to you eventually introducing them to each other.

If you need to ask anything at all, feel free to post back here ...

Once you have enabled sharing on each computer and know the IP address of each, then you'll be very close to finishing the process ....

http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/network/

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652

http://www.mac-connect.com/win_from_mac.php

http://macs.about.com/cs/tipstutorials/a/xp_osx_sharing.htm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
ok mac forums' elite. I have searched and tried many different walk throughs, to try and share files between my macbook and my pc running xp and I'm at a loss. Regardless of what I have tried, I simply can't connect to my pc using SMB, which seems to be the most common way to do this. I have double and tripple checked that everything has been setup according to instructions. Everytime I try to connect to the server using SMB it fails with an error 36 I/O error. Is there another way to do this?
My PC is behind a firewall, zonealarm, and connected via Airport extreme, though im not sure if it has a built in firewall or not, im guessing it does. Would I need to disable these for some reason?
My PC does see my macbook, verified through network locations, though it doesn't see anything but the comp.
I'm very sorry to ask for help on a subject so many have asked before, but the suggestions in the other threads just don't seem to help with my problem.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
It's always something simple you overlook that tends to cause the most problems. All I had to do was add my Macs IP address to the "Trusted" zone, I use Zone Alarm, and I was able to connect right up. Think Im going to work on a walk through so others won't have to go through the same ordeal. Here's to bullheaded stuborness and persistance. :black:

Reaction score
We have the 36 error appearing on macs now for one of our WS2003 servers. I think this is related to a recent MS update. Back in January Apple put out an update that blew up, now it is MS that has thrown in a monkey wrench. I think I am just gonna quit updating... Just kidding, but I wish they would more thoroughly test these updates before they let them loose on the unsuspecting IT world. I may roll back some updates from my WS 2003 box so that my mac clients can reach it again. Stupid MS, stupid Macs... nah, just the way of the world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.